The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   how long does your horses shoe last? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/how-long-does-your-horses-shoe-74160/)

down2earth1928 12-27-2010 04:40 PM

how long does your horses shoe last?

I am wondering how long your horses shoes last,how often you have them shoed?My horses have been going with the barefoot trim and was thinking of having shoes put on them.they are just used trail riding.

VelvetsAB 12-27-2010 06:18 PM

It is going to all depend on what the shoe is made of and what type of ground the horse is going over. For a trail horse, you might be able to reuse your shoes several times before they are not good to put back on.

Aluminum will wear out faster on surfaces like stone dust, but is much lighter, and I believe cheaper, then say a steel shoe.

If you are generally going over softer surfaces and not gravel, you could stick with the horses being barefoot and just getting trims.

Getting shoes put on is going to be more expensive then getting a trim, but I expect that you already knew that. There is no right or wrong answer to this. It is up to you and possibly what your farrier thinks.

Buckcherry 12-27-2010 06:39 PM

Totally agree with velvetsAb
My farrier always says if they are sound with out shoes to keep it that way and I prefer it because its cheaper.

tinyliny 12-27-2010 08:21 PM

Our horses are shod, though some are barefoot. Mac is super tenderfooted. He has big feet but the farrier said because they don't have enough "dome", he feels every stone. His shoes last about 7 weeks on average.

down2earth1928 12-27-2010 09:17 PM

thats about how long i was thinking.

Izz 12-29-2010 03:53 PM

On average our horses will wear their shoes for 6-8 weeks but one of the horses never seem to hold the shoes for more than say 4-5 weeks, then he loses one off the shoes and shortly after a second shoe too.

Alwaysbehind 12-29-2010 03:55 PM

I agree with Velvet on everything except, aluminum shoes usually cost more than plain steel shoes.

mls 12-29-2010 04:04 PM

How long does the shoe last or how long between resets?

Our shoes typically last at least 12-16 weeks. If the shoe is not worn thin, the farrier will reset it. We reset at 6-8 weeks.

down2earth1928 12-29-2010 06:03 PM

ok,thanks

Ladytrails 12-29-2010 06:27 PM

I reset (steel) shoes every 6-7 weeks, they last for one reset (12-14 weeks total). They are discarded not so much because the shoes wear out per se, but because of the wear and tear on the nail holes in the shoes. Over time the nail holes enlarge so that the shoe can't be properly reset and clinched tight.

You might think about boots - there are lots of brands (Cavallo simple boot is one) that can be put on just when you want to ride, & they last hundreds of trail miles. A full set of boots is about $250-280 depending on the brand, and will pay for themselves in 2-3 shoeings (based on farrier prices here in the Midwest).