The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   crossing my fingers for the new saddle I bought (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/crossing-my-fingers-new-saddle-i-74206/)

azhorseluvr1222 12-28-2010 12:16 AM

crossing my fingers for the new saddle I bought

So for christmas all I wanted was a saddle and with the help of my mom and dad I was able to buy my first saddle. I bought it from a consignment shop in California and I am hoping it works out. It's a corriente barrel trophy saddle. I am not super fond of the writing on the fenders but it is otherwise exactly what I was looking for, beautiful and the right price :D I will be trying it out tomorrow and I am soooo excited and a little nervous too, hope it fits. I do have three days to try it and if it doesn't work out I can it bring back for full refund , which makes me feel better. I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas, I did!!

GeenasGQ 12-28-2010 01:23 AM

that's exciting! i really hope it fits your horse! and don't worry about the trophy writing-it gets covered up after you sit in the saddle. Plus-if it's a nice title-people might think you are really fantastic because of your saddle! :]

corinowalk 12-28-2010 02:08 AM

If you contact Corriente they may have replacement fenders for your saddle. They are actually not too terribly hard to replace.

ozarkmama 12-28-2010 03:40 PM

Yay, hoping it will be a great fit for you and your horse.

I just bought a "new" saddle off ebay, I'm hoping it will work. I sold my Courbette to my daughter and got an Aussie saddle. Well, it's too heavy for me to handle and extremely difficult to girth up, so I decided to go back to an English saddle. Hoping the one I got will work as well as my Courbette did.

azhorseluvr1222 12-28-2010 03:57 PM

Well I think it fits nicely, it is a bit bigger than the saddle I was riding him in and doesnt look like it pinches his withers and has good clearance there too. But.... he doesn't seem to like it. I am thinking it might be the back cinch, I don't have one on the previous saddle. Does it matter if I take the back cinch off? He won't do anything but walk with it on and then if I ask for a trot he stops and tenses up and and sometimes tries to kick towards me. I don't know if its a training/behavioral thing or a saddle issue thing :? I had lunged him before and he didn't act any different, until the saddle went on and even after I took it off he was acting all nutty. I am going back over in a little while and see how it goes I want my FIL to take a look at how it fits him. So fingers still crossed.

luvs2ride1979 12-28-2010 04:19 PM

You can take the back cinch off. They only help for ropers.

Are you placing it correctly? Make sure the front conchos are 2" behind the back edge of his shoulder blade. Also make sure it's not too long. You do not want the back skirts to go past the mid-line of his flanks.

kitten_Val 12-28-2010 04:32 PM

My qh didn't like the back cinch for some reason either. There is nothing wrong if you take that one off.

tinyliny 12-28-2010 04:41 PM

Horses have to get used to back cinches, but they do improve the saddle fit. If the saddle is a full or 3/4 cinch (I might not have the words right, but it means a full is when the D ring for the cinch is at the very front of the tree, directly under the concho. Next is the 7/8 which is a tiny bit further back and is a very common type of rigging, then the 3/4, further back and then the 5/8 and then the center fired rigging, which is in the middle of the tree.)
In the case of full, 7/8 or 3/4 a flank cinch is a designed part of the rigging and required to get the correct fit.

azhorseluvr1222 12-28-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 866865)
Horses have to get used to back cinches, but they do improve the saddle fit. If the saddle is a full or 3/4 cinch (I might not have the words right, but it means a full is when the D ring for the cinch is at the very front of the tree, directly under the concho. Next is the 7/8 which is a tiny bit further back and is a very common type of rigging, then the 3/4, further back and then the 5/8 and then the center fired rigging, which is in the middle of the tree.)
In the case of full, 7/8 or 3/4 a flank cinch is a designed part of the rigging and required to get the correct fit.

Back cinch is off, and that seemed to help and looking at it looks like a centerfire rigging. I will have to find a picture to be sure. Thanks

tinyliny 12-29-2010 12:54 AM

horesluver,

here's a website with info on rigging positions

Your Complete Guide to Saddle Rigging