The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Diagonals! and other basic things Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/diagonals-other-basic-things-help-7424/)

Kadiel 03-31-2008 04:55 AM

Diagonals! and other basic things Help!

Help!!

I'm planning to book a lesson this week and have forgotten a lot!

Its been over 4 years since I've ridden in an arena or had a lesson.

Since my last lesson I have spent lots of hourís trial riding and have forgotten the basics!!

Please correct me if Iím wrong on the following

Riding along on the right rein I would be posting to the outside leg/ right leg stepping forward?

Cantering... Riding along the right rein you ask for a canter with you outside leg just behind the girth and inside leg on the girth. The inside foreleg leads the canter?

It's been so long since Iíve had to think about this stuff I have forgotten! :oops:

southafrica1001 03-31-2008 08:16 AM

in canter outside leg should always be behind the girth and the front slightly forward, when asking for canter. in troting when you rise (sorry we use rising trot we dont call it posting) you should rise when the inside leg is going foward, and this is for any rein, hope that helps and that i havent got anything wrong :oops: :) dont worry it will come flooding back lol

upnover 03-31-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southafrica1001
in troting when you rise (sorry we use rising trot we dont call it posting) you should rise when the inside leg is going foward

Really? Is this a regional thing? In America we post to the outside leg. When the front outside leg goes forward (or inside hind) you stand up!

You got it right for the canter.

southafrica1001 03-31-2008 09:50 AM

omg yes your right it just hit me :oops: for some reason i can look down and know if im rising correctly without registering it, sorry my fault lo, but yea you rise when the inside leg comes back (i think im mixing forward and back haha), i was always told that its so that you take your weight off of the horses weaker leg dont know if thats true

Stepher 03-31-2008 10:09 AM

Lol... ok so those last couple posts confused me :P.
When you are posting (or rising trot) you rise when the outside leg is forward.
When asking for the canter, your outside leg goes back, and your inside leg stays where it is and you squeeze with both - but Im sure your instructor will go over it all!
Good luck, and have fun!

southafrica1001 03-31-2008 10:16 AM

hehe yea sorry i did sort of confuse those, thanks stepher for putting it all together lol :D

.Delete. 03-31-2008 10:33 AM

This is how i do it. When the shoulder on the rail goes forward so do i.

tim 03-31-2008 10:46 AM

Yea, my lesson teacher makes us look at her while we pick up our diagonal so we can't look down. It's hard. I've learned to feel out the hindquarters. When the inside hind leg goes forward, so does the outside foreleg. Since the outside hind end is pushing forward at that time, you seem to move slightly off the rail when you should be up in your post.

Kadiel 03-31-2008 06:10 PM

Thanx for the replys. :D

Its all starting to come back to me! hehe yay

arastangrider 04-02-2008 05:28 AM

the way i remember it is rise and fall with the leg on the wall