The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   seeking advice on what sort of horse I should buy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/seeking-advice-what-sort-horse-i-74242/)

CattanWolf 12-28-2010 05:45 PM

seeking advice on what sort of horse I should buy

Hello, I am seeking advice on what breed/training/age/gender/discipline of horse I should buy. I am quite young and still very small, I'm about 5ft tall and way around 50 kg, I ride at a riding stables as well as having my own horse. I'm French riding level 5 (Programme officiel du niveau GALOP cinq 5 - Lesaboteur.com) and tend to ride horses that a way to big for me.
My own horse is a 17 year old 14.1hh arabian gelding who competes mainly in showjumping with me at a hight of about 1 meter.
At the riding school I mainly ride a 16.2hh 4 year old Lusitanien mare, a 17.1hh 23 year old Anglo-arab mare and a 26 year old 15.3hh Anglo-arab mare. The two Anglo's are hugely difficult, both spook very easily one will refuse even the smallest of jumps and the other will tank off over jumps. The Lusitanien is very gentle but has all the problems of a young horse, she gets distracted and bored easily.

My problem is that when I move I can't take my horse with me, my parents have promised to find me another horse when we settle. Anyone got any suggestions as to what sort of horse I should be looking for?

mmason1017 12-28-2010 09:00 PM

I am from the states and have had lots of experience with the Arabian breed. I like to joke that they don't have a brain, because they spook so easily and are high spirited. I am currently 5foot 5 inches tall and I ride a 15h1in 9 year old American Quarterhorse mare. She is GREAT! I love her. However, I would suggest you look into Thoroughbreads. I have had good experience with them in the show jumping ring. Good luck!

tinyliny 12-28-2010 09:58 PM

I assume you are from France? Are quarter horses availabe there? A qh/thbd mix (appendix QH) would be a great horse for jumping.
I also like the lusitano breed, though I have heard they can be really stubborn.
It is such a personal choice, and the individual horse is more important than the breed.

Alcatrazjmpr 12-28-2010 10:12 PM

If you are looking for a showjumper why not look at a well schooled thoroughbred or a small warmblood if you want a smaller horse. I am only 5'2, so I understand that a horse with a big barrel can be hard to balance on when your legs are short. Also, if you find a horse with a narrow barrel, that is a little taller may be ok.

CattanWolf 06-13-2011 04:37 PM

Thank you for all your advice! I found out that I will be able to take any horse born less than 7 years ago with me as they have complete international passports, so, I have found my horse!
I looked for part quarter horses, then at thoroughbreds in France, but I sadly forgot one important thing, cost. A young horse with any sort of promise in France tends to be trained and competed far too early, then sold for upwards of 10 000 euros. I found a just backed thoroughbred nearby who was at a decent price, but he failed his vet checks.
I was very lucky to chance across an advert for someone breeding and selling KWPN's in Belgium, and, my instructor convinced me that the price of buying an unbroken youngster, bringing it down and sending it for expert breaking and then buying tack and such like would easily come to less than buying a fully trained horse and I would get a lot more satisfaction out of it.

So we took a weekend trip to Belgium to look at Warmbloods (800 odd miles away). We were shown two youngsters, one by Indorado and one with Quidam De Revel X Chanson De Kabaret lines (0_0). We fell for the second, smaller and less talented of the two who was just that little bit more settled. We have since found out that the other boy has gone to a Grand Prix home, I personally am just sure to give my new boy, Hermes a long and loving life.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Here he is!

Alcatrazjmpr 06-13-2011 05:47 PM

Congrats!

CattanWolf 06-14-2011 03:46 PM

thanks ^_^