The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Automatic releases?? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/automatic-releases-74301/)

hflmusicislife 12-29-2010 10:37 AM

Automatic releases??

1 Attachment(s)
I'd like to work on my release. I've been jumping for about 9 years, and while I'm not the best jumper, I believe I'm ready to start working towards the automatic release. I've tried googling it, but I have a difficult time understanding clearly without pictures. Can any of you show me pictures that demonstrate a correct either long release or automatic release?

I attatched a frame I pulled from a video at my last show- that's the last time I jumped. It's not super clear but hopefully it helps. I have others if you'd like them.

MyBoyPuck 12-29-2010 06:25 PM

I don't have a pic for you, but if there is a dead straight line from your elbow to your horse's mouth, that's an automatic release. In that pic above, all you'd have to do is open your elbow angle a bit and you'd be there.

CessBee 12-29-2010 06:28 PM

The automatic release is where you follow the horses mouth over the jump and maintain the straight line from elbow to bit.
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t.../AP_005047.jpg
like so

hflmusicislife 12-29-2010 08:00 PM

Okay, thanks! I'll have to work on that tomorrow :)

MIEventer 12-29-2010 08:10 PM

I highly suggest you start reading the Practicle Horseman Magazine, where George Morris gives his critiques - where they are very informative and educational. He speaks quite often about riders who should be doing the Automatic Release, and also highly commends those riders who are doing it.

You'll see great examples and descriptions given in those critique columns.

hflmusicislife 12-29-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 868484)
I highly suggest you start reading the Practicle Horseman Magazine, where George Morris gives his critiques - where they are very informative and educational. He speaks quite often about riders who should be doing the Automatic Release, and also highly commends those riders who are doing it.

You'll see great examples and descriptions given in those critique columns.

I love that magazine! That's my favorite section :D I was going to go back through them but we recently got rid of ll our old magazine, which is why I posted here. I'll have to pay extra attention to the next one.

upnover 01-02-2011 06:29 PM

I think learning how to do an auto release is really less on where to keep your hands and more learning how to maintain a constant contact with your horse's mouth over the fence. Assuming your position is strong and balanced enough to support our body. FYI- as much as George Morris harps on the importance of learning an auto release (and tells all but the beginner jumpers in his articles in Practical Horseman), I've seen a lot of his clinics and the classes I've seen where he's taught it have usually been his 4 ft class (I think he started on it in one of his adv 3"6 classes). I have no idea where your riding skills are or how secure your position is, but I'm just mentioning it because if you aren't 100% ready, your horse's mouth will be what suffers. Also, before you start thinking about contact over the fence, make sure your contact on the flat is solid first. You might be an absolute pro at that, but I just thought I should throw that out there!

That being said... a short crest release is when you have contact with your horse's mouth over the fence, but are still resting your hands on top of your horse's crest. GM teaches the auto by telling his students to maintain the contact, but drop your hands a few inches down still pressing on the sides of your horse's neck. until they are more stable. Then eventually you won't need your horse's neck at all.

MIEventer 01-03-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Assuming your position is strong and balanced enough to support our body.

I have no idea where your riding skills are or how secure your position is, but I'm just mentioning it because if you aren't 100% ready, your horse's mouth will be what suffers.
Yes, exactly. GM created the Crest Release for riders who need that support over the fence. It was created to help those riders who cannot support their upper bodies through their lower bodies - so as Upnover asked, do you have a solid lower leg and a strong seat base, that supports your upper body? If not - then you aren't ready. If so, then good for you for wanting to merge to the Automatic.

What I think GM gets tore up about, is when he sees riders, who clearly can support their upper bodies through their lower, still doing the crest release - when the crest was only intended for beginners who cannot. When he sees riders who are solid, he encourages them to move onto the Automatic.

ErikaLynn 01-03-2011 11:33 AM

I found this to be informative

hflmusicislife 01-03-2011 06:26 PM

ErikaLynn- thanks, I'll go watch that!
upnover & MIeventer- I do believe I'm ready to start moving to the automatic. I've been working on my jumping position a ton the last year. While I'm not always the prettiest jumper, I know I'm balanced and have a good base support. The only thing I'm not sure of is if my horse is ready. She's a great jumper- when she's being good. On her off days she can be absolutely insane. She's gotten much better recently though. I'd like to start working toward the automatic this spring/summer, but I figured I'd post this early because sometimes it takes awhile to get replies.... Anyway, my only concern would be that because the automatic release offers less control (but more freedom, obviously) of the horse, she'll start bolting after the jumps again. We're starting to work on more dressage type excercises though, so hopefully that will help. I'd like to do more work on the flat before moving up to the automatic this spring and summer.