The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   It's alot harder then it looks (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/its-alot-harder-then-looks-7434/)

blossom856 03-31-2008 12:23 PM

It's alot harder then it looks

Everyone makes jumping look so easy. I can't believe how hard it really is. I've been doing cross rails for months and those are super easy. Never had a problem with those. Now I'm doing verticals that are I guess 1 foot tall, maybe a little bigger. The main problem I had was that I was falling to far forward and my heels were coming up. Although I should mention that I'm in the process of breaking in new tall boots. I'm having an issue with balancing over the jumps and have to hold on to the mane. How do you guys do this and make it look so easy?

Just in case anyone was wondering I do take lessons.

upnover 03-31-2008 05:09 PM

heck yeah it is!! I get irritated at people who say that riding is just "sitting there". It makes me want to punch them. :D

How do you make it look easy? practice practice and more practice! That and have fun!

blossom856 03-31-2008 06:49 PM

I got into an argument with someone who said all you do is sit there. I've been riding for years so I know how difficult it is. I just recently started jumping and I didn't quite understand how much more difficult jumping is then regular flatwork.

Cheval 03-31-2008 09:20 PM

Yup, I got into an argument at school with someone today, about riding in general.
So anyway...jumping is SO hard. It involves EVERYTHING you have, espically when your on a green jumper. And actually, hunters are SUPER hard (like all jumping!). A ton of people don't realise how hard it is (like I used him) but when I started training with my trainer - god, it's so hard. You have to be perfect on your striding, distances, position, I could go on, but not today. Unless you have a "perfect" horse but that's different.

Kadiel 04-01-2008 03:17 AM

Jumping is very difficult. You need to ride clear lines and always be focused on where your next jump is.

Maybe try riding around in the 2 point position to work on your balance.

How is your balance on the flat? Have you done much riding without stirrups? That also may help a bit.

When jumping you also need to learn how many strides your horse will do before the jump. Also make sure your horse keeps his/her momentum. Donít let them slow down just before the jump! :wink:

PoptartShop 04-01-2008 10:51 AM

Yeah, it looks so easy. It's not like you just go over a jump lol you have to have position & balance, alertness, etc. You also have to relax.
But just keep practicing. :) Make sure as you're coming towards a jump you look over it, not directly at it. As you get closer look AHEAD, over the jump. If you're looking down @ the jump, chances are you won't go over it too well.

southafrica1001 04-01-2008 11:25 AM

hehe im doing pe as a subject and horse riding will most probably a subject i will use to get marks for pe, and there are some girls there that say horse riding isint a sport :roll: haha its more then just sitting there as you guys say, its a muscle work out lol. for the jumping ive also had problems dont worry, try looking straight ahead like the other members said, if your losing confidence ask if you can do a cross bar or two before a vertical, and slowly build up (if that isint what you do already) good luck :D

brittx6x6 04-02-2008 08:56 PM

Jumping never gets "easy". You are always working to get a good spot, to help the horse over the fence, and to navigate around the ring. Although it looks "easy" its quite hard ha ha ha. It takes lots and lots and lots of practice. Just keep going, it may be difficult at first, but I think it is so rewarding to be able to get through a course clean and feel that my horse is so proud of her self and I am proud of her.

By the way have fun breaking in new boots! I hate doing that ha ha ha its so painful :D

regardinghorses 04-03-2008 10:04 AM

Blossom - It sounds like maybe you need to shorten the length of your stirrups. Heels coming up and falling forward are both symptoms of too long stirrups.

Make sure that when you are riding on the flat, they reach just below your ankle bone with your leg hanging straight down. When you start to jump, you should put them up one full hole for every foot high the jump is. Also, make sure the outside bar of the stirrup is against your little toe and the stirrup is angled across the ball of your foot. All of this will make it easier to put your heels down and anchor your leg.

Concentrate too on gripping more with your inner thigh and calf. If you pinch too much with your knee, it sends your body forward and your leg back.

Like some others have said, jumping is always hard! There are always a million things to think about and do. The trick is practice, practice, practice so a lot of it is second nature and you don't have to think about it. It can take a long time, so be patient. You are definitely headed in the right direction!

blossom856 04-03-2008 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regardinghorses
Blossom - It sounds like maybe you need to shorten the length of your stirrups. Heels coming up and falling forward are both symptoms of too long stirrups.

Make sure that when you are riding on the flat, they reach just below your ankle bone with your leg hanging straight down. When you start to jump, you should put them up one full hole for every foot high the jump is. Also, make sure the outside bar of the stirrup is against your little toe and the stirrup is angled across the ball of your foot. All of this will make it easier to put your heels down and anchor your leg.

Concentrate too on gripping more with your inner thigh and calf. If you pinch too much with your knee, it sends your body forward and your leg back.

Like some others have said, jumping is always hard! There are always a million things to think about and do. The trick is practice, practice, practice so a lot of it is second nature and you don't have to think about it. It can take a long time, so be patient. You are definitely headed in the right direction!

Funny you should mention the stirrups. My trainer made me put them up two holes a couple days before. So now they're at the correct length. But my heels were still up and I fell forward anyway.

I'm very, very picky about where my stirrups are on my feet. I'm always adjusting them to make sure they're perfectly on the balls of my feet.

I always thought gripping with your calf was a big no no. And gripping with the thighs seems odd when you're jumping. You have nothing to grip but air.