The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Wintec 500 with cair (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/wintec-500-cair-74367/)

Gidget 12-29-2010 11:07 PM

Wintec 500 with cair

I just got my wintec 500 and it has cair. Anyways I had a girl check to see how it fits my horse. She said everything fits well but the shoulder area is snug. Can a saddle fitter fix that? I have different size gullets that I can use and change if needed but the shoulder part is what I am concerned about..Is there any pads that can help in the mean time? I know you don't want it loose. The girl said it won't kill her but I was wondering mostly if there is any pads that can help and if a saddle fitter can fix it?

poundinghoovesequest 12-31-2010 01:30 AM

The gullet changing definatley will help the whole shape of the saddle, and hopefully the shoulder too

Gidget 12-31-2010 01:34 AM

really?!

I was told it wouldnt..sooo should I put in the wide to see if that helps? I pressed on her shoulders and she wasn't upset....

JustDressageIt 12-31-2010 01:35 AM

Nothing will fix a too-snug fit. It's kind of like having a shoe that fits to tight on your foot; no kind of sock is going to make it fit looser. If it's too narrow, and changing the gullet doesn't help, it's to narrow, and I suggest you look into a new saddle. A too-narrow saddle can deeply damage muscles.

ETA - changing the gullet won't change the shape too terribly much.

Gidget 12-31-2010 01:37 AM

could I have a saddle fitter come out?

JustDressageIt 12-31-2010 01:44 AM

I imagine that would be very helpful. Since CAIR isn't flocked like a regular saddle, I don't think he'd be able to reflock it to help.

Gidget 12-31-2010 01:48 AM

I emailed a saddle fitter just now and asked about cair and if could recair it :P I just asked if they can remove come of the cair.

I know a friend of mine had her treeless saddle re done. She had it built up on the sides.

bsms 12-31-2010 10:20 PM

What is the problem? Is the angle too narrow (steep)? If so, a different gullet will help. If the angle matches, then a too wide shoulder would force the front end up noticeably, wouldn't it? If the problem is that it is too snug past where the tree ends, then wouldn't it loosen up with time? Do you have any pictures?

CAIR packets aren't very large, and can be removed and stuffing added.

Also, the folks who make it say "The CAIR Panel System requires that the rider be seated in the saddle to check even bearing. It is only when the rider's weight bears down that the air will fluidly move to hug the horse's back and distribute the rider’s weight evenly. An optimally fitting saddle will hug your horse's back, providing a close fit."

http://www.cairpanelsystem.com.au/Fi...ttingSteps.htm

It is also possible to alter the fit of a CAIR saddle:

http://www.cairpanelsystem.com.au/Fi...TheBalance.htm

luvs2ride1979 12-31-2010 10:24 PM

YES, changing the gullet will help fix the front of the saddle. Put in the next wider gullet and evaluate the fit again.

If you had a fixed tree saddle (without a changable gullet), then no, you could not fix it at all. You would have to sell it and buy a new saddle. However, with a changable gullet saddle, you can change the front of the tree to help the shape. A good saddle fitter with Wintec experience should be able to help adjust the padding in the panels as well, to tweak the fit even more. Or, you can have the CAIR panels replaced with flocking for a more traditional re-fitting.

Gidget 12-31-2010 11:51 PM

I put a wide gullet in today and GUESS WHAT!..fits amazing! There is a good amount of movement for her. So I don't think I have to have someone to come look at the cair for me.. yay! I had her in the medium/wide and it was still a bit snug but the wide fits perfect!

We actually trotted around and cantered :)