The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   English Saddle Search (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/english-saddle-search-74439/)

lilkitty90 12-30-2010 08:02 PM

English Saddle Search

ok i am going on my english saddle search. today i found one at a tack shop for 75 bucks! i've never seen one so cheap. it was an All purpose. with a 16 inch seat. when i sat in it the seat size was perfect but i told the lady i would be using it most for jumping and she told me that i'd need a bigger size as when i bring my legs up they come to far up on the knee rolls. so i am looking for a 16 1/2 or 17 inch seat. do you guys prefer jumping saddles or all purpose for jumping? i also will be asking about certain brand names and quality to make sure i'm not getting jipped as i know nothing about english brands. i can't remember the one at the tack shop but i LOVED that saddle and it would have been perfect size for my horse and such a comfortable saddle and well broken in. i found one on craigslist for 75$ it was a 17 1/2inch seat. not sure how much bigger that would be then i need. but it was a Barclay and Co. saddle are those any good? i'll keep you guys updated as i keep searching though! also seeking out lessons! =)

lilkitty90 12-30-2010 08:26 PM

found a 16 inch Cambridge Jump Saddle with bridle, bit, irons, pad, leathers and a girth for 46$'s!

VelvetsAB 12-30-2010 08:29 PM

Like anything...look for something that is of good quality. You can find good quality for a low price, but it is always going to be something that might have a few dings/scratches/water spots. You might be better saving the $46 or 75 to go towards a saddle that is a bit more money as it might last you longer.

I can not help with brand names...sorry.

lilkitty90 12-30-2010 08:35 PM

i'm not worried about dings or scratches i just need something to play around in really once i get better and plan on showing IF i plan on showing or anything i'll buy something worth a bit more but for not i just need something cheap yet reliable. even if it is heavily Used. i honestly prefer to buy my saddles used as they are already broken in.

kitten_Val 12-30-2010 09:49 PM

Sorry if I come across harsh.... I'm truly afraid that anything for $75 is pretty much a piece of junk. It's not so much about being "reliable", but those saddles usually are a very bad fit for the horse. There is always a reason WHY it's so cheap.

tinyliny 12-30-2010 10:02 PM

I second Kv. Some of those cheap saddles have warped trees. The quality tree is the single most expensive part of the saddle. Also, most made in India saddles are no good.
Can you not afford a couple of hundred? You can resell for a hundred. Don't buy landfill!

lilkitty90 12-30-2010 10:04 PM

this is 75$ used. like way old used not anything new and kitten you are in no way being harsh! because i completely understand lol i've had my share of cheap lopsided fitting saddles lol the 75$ one at the tack shop was actually very nice and i'll go back up and check it out again and of course i'll make sure i have a trial period. i can't remember the maker name but i know it was 2 words and the 2nd word started with a C but i'm sure that doesn't help.

Romantic Lyric 12-30-2010 10:10 PM

Maybe Bates Caprilli?
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 12-30-2010 11:05 PM

Lilkitty,
did you look at the Passier saddle that Piaffe is selling? this is a REALLY nice saddle, for 150$ That is a good price. Passier saddles are one of the best out there, and hold their resale value well. It is a 17.5 inch, so might be a bit too big for you, if you intend to jump. But for just learning English riding, it is a great choice. I am TOO big for it or I would buy it.

Oxer 12-30-2010 11:29 PM

My barn mates are all on an M Toulouse kick. so far 4 of our riders have bought one. 3 Annice saddles and 1 Celine. You can get them new for 900-ish or used for around 400-500. The annice is my current fave. It has an Antares feel to it but without the extra zeros on the price tag.