The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Complete Newbie (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/complete-newbie-74489/)

Shabutie1990 12-31-2010 02:30 PM

Complete Newbie

Ridings always been a childhood dream of mine and to start the new year off well ive decided to start taking lessons. What stuff do i need to be fully prepared? And do you have any advice about what to look for in riding schools? Im presuming Robinsons is the number 1 for boots etc, I dont want to go to the stables and get laughed at because i look like a complete tool! Any help is appreciated! x

Ray MacDonald 12-31-2010 02:46 PM

Ahahaha your not going to look like a tool! It doesn't really matter what you have on as long as its appropriet.

First you need to get riding gear: Helmet and boots. No particular brand.
I think you could try talking to anyone that rides at those stables or go see the owner and/or the Riding Instructor. Ask what kind of lessons they give and what you want to do.

Such as: Western, English, Jumping, Dressage, Eventing, Western Pleasure or an all around barn.

Also $$$ some are going to be more expensive. You don't have to get the more $$ one when you are just starting or if your budget allows it.

And MOST importantly!!!! Have fun!!

Shabutie1990 12-31-2010 02:50 PM

Ive rang around asking about lessons and stuff. . ive already got a riding hat. Got it for christmas :) I got gloves too, wasnt quite sure if id need them but i thought they would be advisable given the weather! Its boots that are troubling me, I want a good pair that will last me a good few years, an all round pair i can wear at the stable and riding too. Any suggestions?

sonnygrl 12-31-2010 03:14 PM

for boots you need to decide if you want padock boots. padock boots and half chaps. or tall boots. they make rubber tall boots. ideal for barn use and chores as well as ridng. and with boots my experiance is the more they cost to more comfortable they are. the only boot i ride in is Ariat. they are a little pricy but will last forever and are sooo comfortable. half chaps you can get for 30 dollars

Shabutie1990 12-31-2010 03:53 PM

Ive been looking at tall boots mainly, ive seen a pair on the robinsons site for 80 i think theyre the requisite make, Toscana long boots? Im not really into Jodphur boots. I have a pair of rubber tall boots but theyre a little tight on the leg, ive been wearing them to walk the dog, hoping they will loosen. I dont have big legs so i dont understand why theyre so tight and theyre not slim leg fitting. After wearing them i think id rather have proper leather boots to be honest, even walking they make my legs hurt so i dont think they will be comfortable riding in x

palominolover 12-31-2010 05:47 PM

I suggest you get Ariat, they are reallllly comfy. And they are good for basically any barn work =)

WilliesZipsation 12-31-2010 06:00 PM

If you're going to buy online a really good website that has everything is www.sstack.com they have western and english stuff. And when looking for a riding stable, I would ask at local tack stores and at feed stores, they usually know all the barns in the area. hope this helps!

horserider321 12-31-2010 07:19 PM

just be your self :) My fisrt time riding, I wore jeans, riding boots and an ol' T-shirt. Nobody thought I was something else. In my opinion, be your self, it doesn't matter what people think you are. :)

I hope this helps!

Shabutie1990 01-01-2011 04:49 AM

I rang up this one stables. Christ the woman was morbid, her voice was somewhere between reverend lovejoy and arnold schwarzeneger. The ariat boots are a little to expensive for my budget, I were hoping to spend about half that really, as much as id love a 200 pair of boots i dont think my boyfriend would love paying for them! I like the look of dressage and jumping so im thinking id be better with two pairs?

vergo97 01-01-2011 07:38 AM

maybe you could get some second hand boots. i got mine for 8 second hand from an add in the newspaper. :)