The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/conformation-critique-74496/)

Arksly 12-31-2010 03:39 PM

Conformation Critique

5 Attachment(s)
This is my new mare Miss Kitty. I'm absolutely horrid at critiquing conformation.

She hasn't done anything for the past year, so she is very chubby. She is a 7 year old, registered AQHA mare. She's had two foals in the past and was used for Gymkhana. I'm not 100% sure how tall she is but I'm guessing she is 14.3 - 15 hh. She is in need of getting her feet done (she was done last fall) and I'm having the farrier out on January 5th. I will be planning on doing lower level dressage with her (Training and maybe First Level).

Just tell me if I need better pictures and can get them.

And the last one, just because she's cute.:D

PintoTess 12-31-2010 03:46 PM

I cant really do much with them as they are she is not standing square and she isnt on flat ground and she hasnt got her neck in the right position but if you can get some better pictures then I can see what I can do. Nice kind lok in her eyes though :D

Arksly 12-31-2010 03:48 PM

Alright, I'm going out again today and I'll try to get some better ones of her.

PintoTess 12-31-2010 05:41 PM

Ok, I will try then :D

lilruffian 01-02-2011 08:46 PM

Look at that BUTT!!
Ha ha lovely :D
First off, she's quite wide in the front & her hooves have a fairly steep angle to them (even without trimming). Not biggies though.
She's not standing completely square in the back for the pics...but other than those first 2 things i think she looks great ;)
Her neck could use a tad more muscling but again it's not bad and that will come with time & work.

Arksly 01-02-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilruffian (Post 873721)
Look at that BUTT!!
Ha ha lovely :D
First off, she's quite wide in the front & her hooves have a fairly steep angle to them (even without trimming). Not biggies though.
She's not standing completely square in the back for the pics...but other than those first 2 things i think she looks great ;)
Her neck could use a tad more muscling but again it's not bad and that will come with time & work.

I'm pretty proud of her butt lol.
I noticed how wide she is but it doesn't seem to make a difference in her movement at all.
She's been having difficulties standing normaly i noticed. It doesn't seem like she's in pain and there is no heat but for some reason her feet are just long in the front portion so maybe it will help her angles.
I noticed her neck as well. She hasn't done anything in the past year and i dooubt she was worked in a correct frame ever. So at least she isn't too ewenecked

mysticdragon72 01-03-2011 01:09 AM

I think once you get her back into shape and get her feet trimmed she'll be beautiful! I absolutely LOVE her build!! maybe it's due to me being short and stocky myself that I go for that type in a horse but she's built like a brick sh*t house as my dad says.. LOL..

The only thing that I *might* mark her down for (and I'm no expert just personal opinion) is that her lower legs/feet don't seem to match in size to the rest of her body... I don't know if I described that the right way but I don't know how else to say it.

She does have a very sweet/soft look to her face like someone else said.. I'd be proud to own her even with her little "faults".. if you can call them that. ;-)

back in the crosby again 01-03-2011 07:37 AM

Well, if you are planning on dressage the only thing that stands out to me as a problem is that she looks a little downhill. This will make collection and really reaching under herself with her hind end difficult. It is a pretty mild case, in comparison to most QH you find.
Other then that she has nice straight legs of good substance. It is hard to comment on her neck or shoulder because of the pictures. She does have a good eye and is a sweet looking girl. Congratulations.

Arksly 01-03-2011 11:47 AM

Thank you! Luckily I'm used to riding downhill horses so it won't be much different. We have a long road ahead of us before we even start collection though. My goal right now is just to tune up her ground work and then maybe later in the year get on her and stay on.

NdAppy 01-03-2011 01:17 PM

What is her breeding? She looks to be more of a halter horse then what I would think is a good dressage prospect. JMO as I don't do much with English riding. :-)