The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Burrs in his winter coat (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/burrs-his-winter-coat-74508/)

aimee2010 12-31-2010 05:53 PM

Burrs in his winter coat

We have a 4 month old colt who now has burrs stuck to him on many parts of his body, they are all tangled in his nice think winter coat :?. Our other two horses always find the burrs but they tend to get them stuck in their mane and tails. I normally use Mane’n Taile Detangler on them. Is it safe to use that on a horses body? If not does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the burrs off of him?
Thanks!

Bluemoonlvr 01-01-2011 12:49 AM

We get those a lot to! Usually what I do is just get a comb and comb one out at a time. It takes a while, but it gets them out without annoying the horse.

AlexS 01-01-2011 03:11 AM

I just brush or gently pull them out. If pulling, I try to hold the skin behind the burr so it doesn't pull as much.

PaintHorseMares 01-01-2011 04:29 AM

I find it easier and faster to just pull them out by hand.

Bandera 01-01-2011 06:04 AM

Mane and tail is totally fine to use on the body!

usandpets 01-01-2011 02:55 PM

Unless you can completely get the horse dry down to their undercoat, I wouldn't use anything that gets them wet in the winter. In the summer, the mane and tail detangler would be fine on the rest of the body, I think. We have used baby oil on our horses to get cockleburrs out of their manes and tails. It worked well too.

aimee2010 01-02-2011 09:36 AM

Thanks for the responses, we got most of them out over the last two nights using a little detangler and a lot of patients before they were put in the barn for the night. We had to do in it a couple sessions because at 4 months old standing still for over a hour is just not fun :) Thanks again!

banman 01-08-2011 03:53 PM

show sheen hair polish i find is most deffinetly the best thing for burs, twigs, knots, anything i love it:)