The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Slowing down feeding? My options? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/slowing-down-feeding-my-options-74534/)

Wallaby 12-31-2010 11:51 PM

Slowing down feeding? My options?

So, basically, I've been feeding Lacey once a day. I suppose I could feed her twice a day, but in the interests of efficiency, I like feeding her once a day better. (I'm not sure if it's SUPER important that they are fed more than once a day if they have enough hay to munch on for multiple hours...Lacey's a slow eater, she likes to munch, then leave, rinse and repeat. if it's SUPER important, let me know, please!!)

I feed her about 10lbs of alfalfa and around 15 of really junky grass hay (put into her manger thing to slow her down with it a little, I think the manger thing is a little high for feeding everything [it's about 2ft off the ground] so I feed the alfalfa on the ground) to keep her belly full, a day. She's at a really really good weight for her. All muscular, no ribs to be seen, very thick and solid looking. She's somewhere in the ballpark of 900-1000lbs. I think...I used to have a weight tape but I couldn't figure out how to use it and I've since lost it. I really should take a measuring tape up there and figure out what she really is since I really have no idea of what she really weighs, she could weigh 2000lbs for all I know! :lol:

But ANYWAY, the real gist of all of this talking is that I'd like to slow down her eating even more but I don't know how. She eats rather slowly as it is. It takes her about 3-4hours to be done with her alfalfa and (I feed at 3:30 in the afternoon) at around 8 or 9 in the morning, about 5 pounds of her grass hay is still there. Is that slow enough? If not, what can I do to get it slower?
She's fed in a little run in stall sort of thing so I don't want her dragging whatever system I use out into the muddy muddy walkway outside the run in...

I dunno, what's a good solution? Do I not sound like I need one? Thanks!

Romantic Lyric 12-31-2010 11:56 PM

Not sure. Outside of building some sort of mechanism with a timer that drops hay later on so she can't get to it right away? The only thing I know how to slow down is grain...
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 01-01-2011 12:01 AM

I've heard of some kind of netting systems...like you stick the hay in a mesh bag, or something? But I'm not sure if that would be helpful to me or if it would even work outside of a stall sort of situation... I dunno, I'm just asking questions. Haha!

riccil0ve 01-01-2011 12:01 AM

The only way I know how to slow down the intake of hay is a hay bag. Could you rig one of those up?

And no, I don't think it's super important she get fed twice a day. =]

amazon 01-01-2011 12:28 AM

we feed our horses that are in the barn grain that is 14 percent protien twice daily and then 3 flakes of hay twice daily. no more, the horses have to wait for next feeding.

amazon 01-01-2011 12:44 AM

Put the alfafla in the hay bag 2 flakes twice daily, put the hay in the manger add 1 mineral block with plenty of water. At your horses age the protien level is important to keep it around 10 percent to keep from foundering. the only thing you left out was the exercise level per day, If you give it an hour and half daily then feed level is fine but if not that cut back alfalfa a little.

PaintHorseMares 01-01-2011 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallaby (Post 871490)
Do I not sound like I need one?

Keep it simple. If she's healthy, I wouldn't change a thing.

Bandera 01-01-2011 05:44 AM

YES IT IS IMPORTANT!!! Please feed your horse 2 or MORE times a day. That is what a horse does in the wild, they graze 24/7. My horse gets feed 4 times a day, am-2 flakes, afternoon-grain, afternoon- 2 flakes, pm- 2 flakes. Not saying this is what your horse needs but feed 2 or more times a day!!! please!!!! (i have gone to many UC Davis symposiums and they recomend 3 times a day!! )

Hoofprints in the Sand 01-01-2011 09:24 AM

My mare eats her evening hay way too fast so we took a hay net and cut it so it lies flat and then secured it to the bars on the manger feeder with zip ties.

It works but you just have to keep an eye on her to make sure it's not TOO hard for her to get the hay. If it is then you can always cut some holes in the net :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 01-01-2011 01:10 PM

Thanks you everyone for your thoughts!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandera (Post 871662)
YES IT IS IMPORTANT!!! Please feed your horse 2 or MORE times a day. That is what a horse does in the wild, they graze 24/7. My horse gets feed 4 times a day, am-2 flakes, afternoon-grain, afternoon- 2 flakes, pm- 2 flakes. Not saying this is what your horse needs but feed 2 or more times a day!!! please!!!! (i have gone to many UC Davis symposiums and they recomend 3 times a day!! )

I thought the important thing was that she always had hay to be eating? And not precisely how many times a day she was fed? Because she does get enough at her feeding (and she eats slowly enough) that she still has hay up until about 2-3 hours before she's fed again... So technically, she is grazing 24/7...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand (Post 871702)
My mare eats her evening hay way too fast so we took a hay net and cut it so it lies flat and then secured it to the bars on the manger feeder with zip ties.

It works but you just have to keep an eye on her to make sure it's not TOO hard for her to get the hay. If it is then you can always cut some holes in the net :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks! That's a good idea! I'll probably give that a try soon since I'm considering cutting down a little on how much she's getting since she's still gaining weight and if she continues for much longer she's gonna be a fatty! haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 871658)
Keep it simple. If she's healthy, I wouldn't change a thing.

Ok, thanks!