The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Nutrition (
-   -   How do I know if my haylage is safe to feed (

watt20 01-01-2011 06:49 PM

How do I know if my haylage is safe to feed
For the first time ever I have bought a large bale of haylage to feed my horses because I couldn't get any hay. I know nothing about haylage apart from the fact I can't stand the smell of it. I opened it today and I can't decide if its ok. It looks like a big bale of mould to me. Very strong smelling, really quite wet and just looks mouldy. I read things about it can give horses colic or botulism so now am afraid to feed it! It was very tightly wrapped with no holes that I could see, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

GreyRay 01-01-2011 07:00 PM

Unless it has big patches of fuzzy mold, it should be OK.
Haylage is supposed to be wet, dark, and stinky. Bit without photos I cant really tell you if it looks ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

watt20 01-02-2011 05:36 PM

Thanks, I unwrapped the whole bale today, one side looks mouldy but the other side is quite dry and looks quite nice I will probably just feed the bits im happy with. thanks again.

Production Acres 01-03-2011 03:39 PM

wet - no problem
smelly - it is fermeted - no problem
mold - is a problem

remember, the entire bale should be fed VERY quickly - 3-5 days

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome