The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Outcrossing with my SWB Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/outcrossing-my-swb-mare-74623/)

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 01-02-2011 02:23 AM

Outcrossing with my SWB Mare

I have a traditional style Swedish Warmblood mare that I want to breed this year. You can see her here: Flickr: vespaskank's stuff tagged with julep

Backstory: I have a 5 year plan for retiring my mare from my primary riding horse while simultaneously ramping up her replacement. She has a good brain, a good heart and a personality that I work well with and that she's passed on to her previous foals. (I am friends with her previous owner who bred her.)

I would prefer an out-cross for maximum versatility as I have a variety of interests. My primary interests are fox hunting, hunter trials, competitive & pleasure trail riding, extreme cowboy challenge and gaming.

The later half I usually use and compete with my husbands quarter horse but every so often we go to play days and I do in fact run barrels with my Swedish Warmblood.

I of course have a list of attributes I would like to see and improve upon, and so I mostly focusing on individual stallions instead of specific breeds, with the exception of Irish Draughts as I haven't found an Irish Draught I wouldn't consider.

I prefer the heavier more traditional heavy hunter types, and even the more baroque styles (P.R.E/Andalusian, Lusitanos). Plus at 16.2 1/2 I would very much like to keep as much height as possible or even improve upon if at all possible.

Color is only important in the most general sense as in, shes a very dark bay and I will not consider crossing her with anything grey or any paint hybrid.

So far my front runners are:

Huntingfield Proud Tim RID
http://www.dandelionfarm.com/images/tim1-lg.jpg
Dandelion Farm

Yeager GF
http://www.blacktreefarm.com/images/..._FreeJump6.jpg
Blacktree Farm :: Standing Buckskin German Warmblood Stallion, Yeager GF.

Bridon Belfrey, RID
http://www.benmarfarm.com/images/Bri...ionconform.jpg
Irish Draught Stallion Bridon Belfrey RID

What do ya'll think? Is there any one else you might consider? Who do you prefer?

FeatheredFeet 01-07-2011 01:48 PM

It looks as though your mare is roach backed. Do you know if this was aquired or genetic? Most roach backs are genetic and probably shouldn't be bred on.

Difficult to tell about the 2nd horse, but I like 1 and 3 and probably 3 most, even though he's a little longer backed than 1.

Lizzie

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 01-07-2011 02:22 PM

Thank you for your honest feedback! It's an acute problem after an accident she was in when she was younger. She had a bad fall on a solid cross country jump and she partially tore her meniscus in her stifle, pulled her tensor muscle and the slight roach back you see is a side effect/compensation of the healing. She has semi-regular appointments with a chiropractor & occasionally an acupuncturist. Despite the minor visual conformation flaw you would never know it by riding as shes super elastic, and prefers to be collected, fully engaged hindquarters et al.

One conformation flaw I would love to see reduced/bred out, is that she toes out in the front. It's not horrible and is most corrected by shoeing. And I've heard mixed feedback about looking for a horse that toes-in to correct her toe-out vs. A correctly toed horse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeatheredFeet (Post 880395)
It looks as though your mare is roach backed. Do you know if this was aquired or genetic? Most roach backs are genetic and probably shouldn't be bred on.

Difficult to tell about the 2nd horse, but I like 1 and 3 and probably 3 most, even though he's a little longer backed than 1.

Lizzie

Posted via Mobile Device

FoxyRoxy1507 01-07-2011 03:09 PM

do not try to find a horse that toes in to counter act her legs.. when u are trying to improve upon legs the best way is to find a correct stallion that passes this on to his get.. and to look at the mares legs to be able to tell.

im a huge fan of Bridon Belfry and plan to breed to him in the future, his babies are usually quite correct and have fab tempermants.

maryb7 01-07-2011 03:09 PM

SWB mare

Hi,

I am a longtime Swedish breeder-- so I may be biased :)
I really like your mare's back. (Actually I like everything about her!) My longtime teacher, Bettina Drummond, used to say the topline is everything....Your mare is a wonderful true Swedish type. May I ask what her breeding is?

Mary
Mary Baechler
magpiefarm.com

BigGirlsRideWarmbloods 01-07-2011 04:48 PM

Hi Mary!
I actually consider inquiring about your boy Amorex for a really long time! I didn't know you were on this board! Aside from your boy being BEAUTIFUL, I really wanted to stay as local as possible even if we had to do AI, and I would much rather pick up and drive a container myself and drive over the pass than pay Fedex.

She is registered but her papers were lost by the rescue when they took her in, but the rescue owner remembers that she was by Juvel. Because she's basically a grade mare without papers proving otherwise, I really wanted to breed her with an open or at least more liberal registry.

(Long explanation) I personally believe that good horses come from being handled and socialized with the world as much as possible but not being saddled till they're an older 2 year old but not backed until they're 3.

I've found the best way to do this is a lot of in-hand classes, I'm a big fan of in-hand breed classes and trail in-hand classes at a young age. But in order to participate in the breed classes you need to typically be registered for the best/most options. Plus I also know that as a foundation breed the Irish Draught horses will typically register anything as an Irish Sporthorse as long as you can prove at least 1/4 Irish Draught.

That's why 2 of the horses are RID and one is a local German Warmblood located outside of Seattle. .. anyways

Mary, SWANAs different books and register A, B C etc and approved stallions vs licensed/unlicensed stallions is very confusing to me. If I were to breed with a SWB but would my registration options be? Feel free to PM me if it's too long and complicated of an answer.

But yes Julep is a very type-y traditional style of Swedish Warmblood, that's one of the things I love about her. She's a big solid girl with a nice solid bone, and the assertive, sweet and goofy personality to match.

Jarrah G

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryb7 (Post 880485)
Hi,

I am a longtime Swedish breeder-- so I may be biased :)
I really like your mare's back. (Actually I like everything about her!) My longtime teacher, Bettina Drummond, used to say the topline is everything....Your mare is a wonderful true Swedish type. May I ask what her breeding is?

Mary
Mary Baechler
magpiefarm.com

maryb7 01-08-2011 12:25 AM

Hi Jarrah,

Oh, that is nice you know Amorex. It did cross my mind she could be from Juval. She looks a lot like him. You should call Swana because they may have her listed under her name (if that name came with her). You could also DNA test her, I think.

If you breed her to an approved Swedish stallion, even without papers, the foal will get Swedish papers but in a lower book. However for USDF and USEF purposes, the foal will be considered Swedish and any scores while showing will count for awards as a SWB.

However, I think Swana is great about helping on things like this and you can probably get her papers. She looks really well-bred to me and that is worth doing. Or call Gwen Blake and I bet she knows her.

Best wishes,

Mary

FeatheredFeet 01-08-2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigGirlsRideWarmbloods (Post 880432)
Thank you for your honest feedback! It's an acute problem after an accident she was in when she was younger. She had a bad fall on a solid cross country jump and she partially tore her meniscus in her stifle, pulled her tensor muscle and the slight roach back you see is a side effect/compensation of the healing.

Ah then that explains it. I suspect it would almost be like a 'hunter's bump' then. Lots of jumping and horses in heavy diciplines get this, although a true hunter's bump would be a little further back.

Thanks for explaining.

Lizzie

TrueColours 01-08-2011 03:30 PM

HUGE Bridon Belfry fan here! I think he would cross very very well with her and improve her in areas that she needs helps in

Good luck with your decision! :-)

TheLastUnicorn 01-10-2011 01:21 PM

Belfry has caught my eye before, and continues to do so.