The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sheath cleaning (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sheath-cleaning-7464/)

Lorry1 04-01-2008 07:58 AM

Sheath cleaning

For the first time I cleaned the sheath of my horse and could tell it had been a while because he had an accumulation of smegma. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the "bean" out at the end of his penis. I also noticed that he had a sore at the end and assume that it's because of the bean. Does anyone know of an easy way to remove the bean? I'm going to call the vet today, but I will need to figure out how to do this in the future so I won't have to call upon the vet every time. I used a soap especially for this, which softens it, but still wasn't able to get the bean out and when I tried the next day he was just too tender to probe again and started to kick so I left him alone. I appreciate any advise anyone can share. Thanks.

arastangrider 04-02-2008 04:49 AM

hope this helps
http://www.equusite.com/articles/hea...Cleaning.shtml
also your gelding shouldn't be sore from the experiance

Lorry1 04-02-2008 08:13 AM

sheath cleaning

Hey thanks for the article. It was very informative; however, I perform the recommended steps and still wasn't able to get the "bean" out. It seems to be imbedded there. My horse, Willy, also has a little pink bubble on the end of his penis which I'm not sure is from infection or if it's supposed to be there. Anyways, when he acted like it was hurting him, I backed off thinking that it is maybe a sore and called the vet. who is coming next Wednesday to get it out. I will have to learn how to get it out for future cleanings, but hopefully it won't be stuck in so bad. It seemed like a chuck of cement :roll: Thanks again!

Spastic_Dove 04-05-2008 12:44 PM

Have a vet preform a sheath cleaning and show you how to do it. He will cater the cleaning to your specific horse and be able to let you know if all is well. (: Its worth the cost in my opinion.

My2Geldings 04-06-2008 05:40 AM

Would you be able to ask someone at your barn for help? Good on you for going ahead and trying to learn how to clean his sheath.

Lorry1 04-06-2008 08:00 AM

"My2geldings" I wish there was someone else here at the barn to ask, but I'm the only one here with a horse, and there's no one around familiar with horses. I am having the vet come over on Wednesday to do it, but hopefully I can do it for future cleanings. I did okay with everything except getting that darn "bean" out :(

Lucara 04-08-2008 11:42 PM

I have yet to find the "magic bean". =( I cleaned my horses sheath for the first time since I've gotten him around 3 or 4 months ago. I've been really weary about it. When we tried to do it at Dixie he kicked in every direction he could find. I suppose it didnt help that the manager would kick him in the stomach every time he moved.. :cry:
I tried it today and he did great!!! I took advantage of him dropping while I was grooming him and got a few seconds to clean off the stuck bedding off of his "happy place" so that it was nice and clean. The inside of the sheath was horribly packed. I got out as much as I could and he only tried to kick once. :D I never got the bean but I felt proud of my first try with him as my own! :D

free_sprtd 04-09-2008 12:00 AM

Nice! ya my gelding kicked and kicked the first time we even went near that area. so ive been gently going near it ever so often to get him used to it and so far so good! i was told that if you rub a little around it, you can sometiems get it to drop, so that's what ive been doing, and he'll come out a bit, but i stop so as not to over do it. i plan on trying to clean it next bath time when i have someone else there to help me.

congrats to you lucara!! do they have a bean everytime? or just sometimes?

Lucara 04-09-2008 12:08 AM

I would imagine that if you cleaned it ever 6months your bound to find one just about every time. I plan on trying to clean it every month since it get excessively hot in Florida and he sweats A LOT. I found that if, when you groom him, if you gently pass your brush right up against it, it helps with getting them used to it.
I found a bug bite of some sort on his sheath though that has me a bit worried so I'm keeping an eye on it. :?

free_sprtd 04-09-2008 12:59 AM

oh gosh a bug bite?! scary! yep good idea, keep an eye on it.