The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Leaving halter on when riding!? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/leaving-halter-when-riding-74652/)

BWolters 01-02-2011 03:05 PM

Leaving halter on when riding!?

Do you guys put your bridle on over your halter? I have noticed people do? what are the benefits/negatives of that ?

DunOverIt 01-02-2011 03:07 PM

If I'm on a trail ride, or a rodeo where I'm on and off all day, or working cows.. I keep a rope halter on underneath with the lead tied off the saddle horn. I can tie my horse when I need to.

Spastic_Dove 01-02-2011 03:08 PM

The only time I've ever done that was out on the trail so I can let the horses graze when I get off to eat or something.

BWolters 01-02-2011 03:19 PM

Ya do alot of trial riding would be easier. why a rope halter?

DunOverIt 01-02-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWolters (Post 873279)
Ya do alot of trial riding would be easier. why a rope halter?

Don't like nylon. And only use leather for my halter horses at shows.

BWolters 01-02-2011 03:24 PM

OK! thanks

corinowalk 01-02-2011 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I love trail bridles. They are inexpensive and offer all the benefits of riding with a halter on without all the extra bulk. Heres my buddy Scooter in his halter/bridle-trail bridle.

Izz 01-02-2011 03:47 PM

I leave the halter on with a lead rope attached if it has a purpose. For example if I'll be out on the trail for hours and might want to get off the horseback and walk for a while to stretch my legs, or sometimes I cross areas where it's too dangerous to be mounted, boggy areas or scree areas, then I want to get off and lead the horse by a leadrope and not by the reins. If I loose my balance walking in such areas I might jerk the horses mouth if leading by the reins and I don't want to cause the horse pain. It's also handy to be able to tie the horse safely if you let him wear a halter and a lead rope.

BWolters 01-02-2011 04:09 PM

Ya I think Im going to leave the halter on and have a lead rope tied to the saddle, cause it would be nice!

masatisan 01-02-2011 05:36 PM

I do anytime I'm not in an enclosed space. What if something happened to my bridle? its much easier in an emergency situation to have some sort of backup. I use an english bridle with no noseband and I usually run the throatlach through the cheekrings on the halter for extra security. On my english saddle, I tie the leadrope with a quick release to the buck strap that I made for my baby cousins.