The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Rare and Common (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/rare-common-74654/)

Cowgirl101 01-02-2011 03:35 PM

Rare and Common

A question topic.

What is the most common color in a horse? Sorrel is my guess.

What is the most rare color in a horse?

palominolover 01-02-2011 03:43 PM

bay is the most common, and maybe brindle being the rarest =/

Midnight Angel 01-02-2011 08:33 PM

I think it will depend on what country you are in ? And even what area within the country ? Etc etc

Brighteyes 01-02-2011 08:42 PM

I live in the American south, where the quarter horse is supreme, so the most common color I've seen in sorrel. The rarest seems to be true white. Most people around here don't like whites because they sunburn and are hard to keep clean, as well as wives's tales about white horses being sick all the time/not as strong/not as skilled as other colors.

A knack for horses 01-02-2011 08:59 PM

I've always heard that grulla is the rarest coat color, but I would also say that true white/albino horses are extremely rare.

Around here, bay and sorrel are tied for the most common.

QHDragon 01-02-2011 09:12 PM

I tend to see a lot of chestnuts around here, and grays. I think the rarest color in my area would probably be a true black.

lilruffian 01-02-2011 09:40 PM

I'd say bay (or any variation of the color) is the most common. Bay is typically a dominant gene isn't it?
Sorrel would certainly be net.
Brindle and Albino are the rarest i would think.

equiniphile 01-02-2011 10:53 PM

Most rare, IMO, is a TRUE WHITE or a brindle.

Most common is a bay or chestnut.

lilkitty90 01-02-2011 11:01 PM

i'd say the Chimarea(sp?) IE Brindle, or those ones that are brown and white like a paint but with no white.

and most common around here is Bay and sorrel of course. around you you RARELY see a Grey.. it's kinda sad = ( i LOVE Greys!

rbarlo32 01-04-2011 06:45 AM

here in shetland pony contry ie most equines up here are shetland the most common colour in black anc to go outwith shetland ponies the rarest colour is spotteed as i n stud book rules shetland ponies can't be spotted and as they are the most common breed up here it makes them really rare. and a little bit of topic shetland has now imported their first miniture horse which happens ti ve spotted.