The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   I know there are tons of questions about this, but i need help with senior horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/i-know-there-tons-questions-about-74661/)

Rachel1786 01-02-2011 05:29 PM

I know there are tons of questions about this, but i need help with senior horse

I have a gelding who is about 36 years old, i've had him for 13 years and i want to keep him as healthy as possible, every winter for the last 2 or so winters he's lost a lot of weight so this year i'm going to do everything i can to keep him fat, he is missing all but 4 molars on the bottom and all his top are gone(he has 2 bottom on each side but they are not next to each other)
He only gets grain once a day because with my son and work schedule i can only get out there around noon and then 5 and that would be too close together to feed grain(but i make sure he has enough hay to eat pretty much all the time) Right now he gets 2.5 3 quart scoops of Purina senior soaked to mush,with 1 scoop of alfalfa pellets also soaked. I went to tractor supply company and got him rolled oats, rice bran and beet pulp, I did buy a scale to weigh the stuff(i just keep forgetting to bring it back to the barn with me) My question is about how much of all of this should i be feeding? He is a 14.2HH arab/quarter who weighs about 800lbs(although i haven't taped him in a few months so that could be off) I also blanket him, he has a heavy weight blanket an attached neck cover and for really cold days he has a fleece liner on under it(lately it's been in the teens here with windchill below 0)
Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Peggysue 01-03-2011 10:24 AM

total per day needs to be about 30lbs ...

I would change to either Nutrena Senior or Triple Crown Senior or Kent Senior ... basically any senior BUT Purina;)

Feed the Min amount of the senoir normally 6 to 8lbs

I wold start with 1/2 rice bran and build UP TO 2lbs

then I would do abou t6lbs of beet pulp and 14lbs of alfalfa cubes well soaked :)

actually I would go lazy man's way and feed max amount of Senior then soak about 10 lbs of alfalfa cubes

Rachel1786 01-03-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peggysue (Post 874242)
total per day needs to be about 30lbs ...

I would change to either Nutrena Senior or Triple Crown Senior or Kent Senior ... basically any senior BUT Purina;)

Feed the Min amount of the senoir normally 6 to 8lbs

I wold start with 1/2 rice bran and build UP TO 2lbs

then I would do abou t6lbs of beet pulp and 14lbs of alfalfa cubes well soaked :)

actually I would go lazy man's way and feed max amount of Senior then soak about 10 lbs of alfalfa cubes

Thanks for the advice, i will look into switching him to a different feed, we get the feed directly from Phillips feed distributor because my mom owns a boarding kennel and we sell pet supplies, so we only pay 13 something for the Purina senior. I just texted her to ask her if we can get any of the feeds you listed above. If she doesn't get back to me i will ask her for a list when i go feed tomorrow

equiniphile 01-03-2011 09:15 PM

I've had amazing results with Nutrena Equine Senior.