The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   I have two color questions. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/i-have-two-color-questions-74687/)

mysticdragon72 01-02-2011 08:21 PM

I have two color questions.

We are going to be buying this mare (almost 100% sure at this point) and she isn't registered but she was listed on her ad as a Buckskin Tobiano. Well, I kind of agree with that. She's definitely a Tobiano BUT she's got some other characteristics that lead me to believe there's something else like Sabino or Splash in her too. Am I right?

First, I'll post a pic of her left side to give you the total view of her:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...ahara_left.jpg

Next I'm posting her front left leg to show the way her stocking is kind of mottled instead of a distinctive line between the color and the white marking:
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...ra_leftleg.jpg

She's also got some white hairs mingled in with the color on her face, legs and body.

The second part of my question about color genetics is if she is bred to the stallion pictured below what colors would the babies possibly be? I don't know if either one are homo/heterozygous for any genes as I haven't asked the lady if they've been tested or not.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h4...on777/cody.jpg

So, all you genetics experts out there... can y'all help me out a little?

TIA.

Chiilaa 01-02-2011 08:41 PM

I don't know enough about identifying the white patterns to have a go at her.

In terms of what they could produce, I will assume they are both hetero for everything that they can be. Of course, they are both definitely hetero for cream, and the stally is homo for red. Other than that, you can't tell so we assume everything else is hetero.

You can get: Chestnut, Bay, Black, Cremello, Perlino, Smokey Cream, Palomino, Bucksin, Smokey Black. You then have I think a 50/50 chance of white patterning.

mysticdragon72 01-02-2011 08:46 PM

That's like me, I have no idea about the specifics of the white patterns either.. I can tell the difference between overo and tobiano... usually unless there's something else mixed in that are throwing off the white. Like with these two.. I would say they are both tobiano BUT the stallion has too much white on his face to not have something else there too.. maybe splash? I dunno... same with the mare.. she's not only tobiano but, like you I dunno enough about the white patterning. ;-)

I'll be happy with whatever color the baby is.. I think it'll be cool to try to figure it out though.. hehe.

NdAppy 01-02-2011 09:17 PM

Is she already bred or are you planning on breeding her?

Zeke 01-02-2011 09:21 PM

I'm going to have to be devils advocate here and ask: what do you see in those horses that make them breeding quality?
Posted via Mobile Device

NdAppy 01-02-2011 09:27 PM

That was going to be my next question, and to also suggest that one or both should be tested for frame.

mysticdragon72 01-02-2011 09:57 PM

OK, I knew these questions would be asked at one point or another... I guess I should have stated that I don't own either one of these horses right now. I didn't breed the mare and yes, she's already in foal. The current owner bred them for whatever reason she had at the time.

On another note, and I'm not saying this to be b*tchy, but please refrain from commenting about their conformational faults/strengths or anything other than your opinion on the color possibilities of the foal because that was my reason for posting.

As I stated, I DON'T OWN them and therefore have no control over their care or whatever. Please don't take this post the wrong way but I've seen quite a few people on here get berrated unnecessarily for things which are beyond their control and totally outside of the original purpose of the post.

I wasn't buying the mare for breeding or showing but just to be a riding companion for my husband and myself.

cassalynn 01-02-2011 10:02 PM

I always wonder about the color genetics as well.. But I am absolutely horrible at the white markings. lol.
However, I did want to tell you I think she is an adorable mare, and whatever her color is considered, I really like it! :)

trailhorserider 01-02-2011 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 873788)
I'm going to have to be devils advocate here and ask: what do you see in those horses that make them breeding quality?
Posted via Mobile Device

Just out of curiosity, how can you tell they are not breeding quality? It's hard to judge a horse on a single photo on the internet. I'm sure we've all had photos of our horses that make them look both better and worse than they really are. These are hardly halter shots.

Especially the photo of the stallion. Bad camera angle, but boy, he looks like a hunk to me! I love tanky horses. But even not considering that, what do you see wrong with him? I certainly can't see anything glaring. Maybe if he were standing square with the camera at a better angle, we could all assess more, but still, I don't know how you can fault him at this angle.

Zeke 01-02-2011 10:10 PM

See, that's fine. I don't think anyone would have asked any questions if you had stated that in the first place. To me it sounded as though you were buying the mare and hoping to have a foal out of her by the stud. You did ask "if she was bred to the stallion"...Breeding unregistered horses is a very touchy subject around here, its only because we love horses and want people to be responsible.

She's got great coloring, it's tough to guess what she'll throw though. Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device