The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wraps for dressage?

Tags
polo wraps
12K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Arksly 
#1 ·
What do people use for wrapping legs in dressage here? I have ridden barelegged for a while now, but I am a little concerned with the hardness of our arena stone, are polo wraps good or would you suggest something else? I already have some polo wraps, and I know how to apply them, but I have always been too lazy to use them, do you think it would be worth it?

#5 ·
I prefer boots for my usual schooling. Bandages are too much hassle to put on every day, unless you've got the time to spend bandaging carefully each time you ride (which you struggle with when you are working more than 6 horses!!), just boot.

I use brushing boots or sling boots depending on the horse. My brushing boots are fleece lined with a 'strike pad' on the inside of the leg. My sling boots wrap around the leg and go under the fetlock, they offer a little more support than brushing boots so I usually put them on horses that I am working a little harder in lateral work and more advanced movements. Otherwise just brushing boots.
I also put bell boots either on just the fronts, or all 4 again depending on the horse and level of work.

As for bandages, I only bandage when I'm at a clinic or for presentation (e.g. presenting for sale, photo's for website etc.)

#6 ·
Boots or bandages will not remedy the issues caused by hard footing. Studies have shown that in order to provide support, one would have to cut off circulation with said boot or bandage.

Please only use polos if you know how to wrap correctly and are diligent enough to re-wrap legs if you've done a poor job.
I use polos when ever I am "in public". So at my coach's place, riding in a clinic or on the show grounds, etc.. Otherwise I use open front boots on the front legs and polo wrap the hind legs. I might also use "dressage sport boots" if I am in a real rush, but personally I find that they can shift.
I would be very interested to try the Veredus Piaffe Evo boots.. However they are very expensive. (like $1000 for the set I think...)

Good luck!

#7 ·
I asked a veterinarian about this, and he said, that if you want to strengthen the legs, you don't use support. The only use for wraps etc. is to protect against imact, like if you're jumping, polo, or if your horse has a tendency to hit his own legs, as is not uncommon when starting advanced movements. But they do look nice.

#8 ·
I actually use eventing boots on Jesse's front legs and hind legs because he has a tendancy to hit himself so often.

These are the exact back boots I use, I also have similar front boots but for the life of me I don't remember the brand/make.

Any type of boot/polo wrap will do when schooling but you aren't aloud to show with them unless you have consulted with a vet and have consulted the show commity (I think, it's a confusing process).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.