The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   cant get through to my fjord mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/cant-get-through-my-fjord-mare-74853/)

furandfeather 01-04-2011 03:48 PM

cant get through to my fjord mare

having heard about the wonderful nature of fjord horses i decided to buy one but my 6yr old mare is proving to be an exception ,she was imported in 2009 in foal and ended up on a dealers yard who sold her to a young girl as a novice ride , which she is ,but was to strong for the girl to handle on the ground so was put up for sale ,and i bought her and adore her ,i have taken her right back to basics after being chased , lunged and kicked at ,she seems to be so defensive all the time any ideas on how i can convince her i am not out to hurt her .i am not new to horses having ridden bred and trained for over 20yrs but this fjord is proving a tough nut to crack.

Scoutrider 01-04-2011 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by furandfeather (Post 876276)
having heard about the wonderful nature of fjord horses i decided to buy one but my 6yr old mare is proving to be an exception ,she was imported in 2009 in foal and ended up on a dealers yard who sold her to a young girl as a novice ride , which she is ,but was to strong for the girl to handle on the ground so was put up for sale ,and i bought her and adore her ,i have taken her right back to basics after being chased , lunged and kicked at ,she seems to be so defensive all the time any ideas on how i can convince her i am not out to hurt her .i am not new to horses having ridden bred and trained for over 20yrs but this fjord is proving a tough nut to crack.

Going back to basics is exactly what I would do - back to square one, establishing and defining your personal space first and foremost. This mare sounds like she has zero respect for you, and the only way to remedy that is to establish yourself as the "dominant horse" in her herd. Adopt a "take no crap" attitude with her, and keep things black and white. Start with making sure that she respects your space, and then move on to establishing respect for your requests that she move her feet forwards, backwards, left and right.

It doesn't sound like you need to convince her that you won't hurt her - you need to convince her that you're worth respecting.

NorthernMama 01-04-2011 08:23 PM

I have no experience with fjords personally, but I have heard that they can be set in their ways. So I agree with the ground work and repetition, repetition, repetition.

I'm glad your post was short. The lack of capitals and proper punctuation made it kind of difficult to read. I encourage you to compose your posts for legibility as well as information.

furandfeather 01-05-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoutrider (Post 876622)
Going back to basics is exactly what I would do - back to square one, establishing and defining your personal space first and foremost. This mare sounds like she has zero respect for you, and the only way to remedy that is to establish yourself as the "dominant horse" in her herd. Adopt a "take no crap" attitude with her, and keep things black and white. Start with making sure that she respects your space, and then move on to establishing respect for your requests that she move her feet forwards, backwards, left and right.

It doesn't sound like you need to convince her that you won't hurt her - you need to convince her that you're worth respecting.

Thanks for your reply thats just what im doing,must be working as when i am firm with her she turns and takes it out on her field companion ,Astra is no problem to catch ,and looks so sorry for herself when she has done wrong ,i am worried about being to harsh with her as when she is told off it takes her a while to come to me .