The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What do YOU look for in a horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-do-you-look-horse-74854/)

Kennedy 01-04-2011 03:56 PM

What do YOU look for in a horse?

Just wondering what everyone finds important when looking for a horse of their own, one to lease or just in lesson horses.

Do you guys look for color? Personality? Experience? Ability? What is the top thing on your list that you want in the horse(s) you ride?

equestrian 01-04-2011 04:12 PM

When I was looking for Bourbon, my criteria was:

1. sound
2. sane
3. over 15hh
4. between 3 and 7 years old

Speed Racer 01-04-2011 04:17 PM

1. Good temperament

The most gorgeous horse in the world is worthless if it's an evil, confrontational beast.

2. Conformationally correct

3. Sound

Breed, height, age, and color are all just fluff. If the horse meets the above 3 requirements, everything else is just gravy.

Kennedy 01-04-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 876348)
1. Good temperament

The most gorgeous horse in the world is worthless if it's an evil, confrontational beast.

2. Conformationally correct

3. Sound

Breed, height, age, and color are all just fluff. If the horse meets the above 3 requirements, everything else is just gravy.

Well said! I think people who just go looking for horses based on color are missing the whole point. I've known kids who are over-mounted because their parents decided to choose the pretty arabian with the golden coat and winning halter career over the sane and safe bay horse.

Speed Racer 01-04-2011 04:37 PM

Exactly, flash over substance. Which is a good way to get someone hurt, killed, or destroy their desire to ride forever.

My most current horse is a TB. He's 15.2 h, chestnut, and is the biggest love bug on the planet.

Chestnut happens to be my favorite color, but he could have been a plain bay with no markings and I'd still have taken him, because he met my 3 requirements in spades.

Mocha26 01-04-2011 04:38 PM

If it has the " wow factor"
Whenever I go to buy a horse I always make mark of my first reactions to seeing him/her in person. If i meet the horse & we just click then I continue to try to buy the horse. No sense in buying if your not totally impressed at first! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

LeosAmericanShadow 01-04-2011 04:47 PM

sound, good temperament, willing to learn and courageous.

whiskeynoo 01-04-2011 04:52 PM

The main one's i'd go for are Temperament of the horse, and how sound it is. I'm a hacking kinda girl never done anything with competitions and what not so as long as it's brave then i'm good, also i like to look at younger horses about 4 or 5 preferably, although if it's under 10 then thats ok too, i like the idea of having a horse until it's death kinda thing.

Romantic Lyric 01-04-2011 05:09 PM

Temperament, soundness, height (I'm too tall for most ponies), and I hate mouthy horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 01-04-2011 06:22 PM

I look for:
1) Disposition, lots of handling (typically willing, easy to work with and train).
2) Diet and good feet (low maintenance, easy keepers to keep me from going broke).