The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Clinic Pic (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/clinic-pic-74867/)

MissH 01-04-2011 06:24 PM

Clinic Pic

1 Attachment(s)
Just thought I'd share a pic from the clinic I rode in on Sunday - it's one of my favorites!

MyBoyPuck 01-04-2011 07:20 PM

Very nice. I love that you're looking down with just your eyes and not throwing him off balance with your entire head. Did you learn anything eye opening at the clinic?

kitten_Val 01-04-2011 07:36 PM

What clinic was that? (I mean who was the instructor and how was it organized.. any theory? just riding?)

I've been at several clinics, and every single one is VERY different the way it's going. :shock:

MissH 01-04-2011 07:44 PM

This was with John MacPherson. These were each single riding lessons at one hour per. This was strictly riding instruction (with theory if he needed you to understand a concept better). This is the second time I have ridden with him and it was amazing - he is truly an awesome coach. As for what I learned - my canter is collecting nicely but I learned to let go (I have a tendency to be a bit stiff in the wrists). The last exercise we did he had me patting her with my left hand, patting her with my right hand, patting her with my left hand, and so on so as to collect the canter with my seat. It was SUPER interesting - she came over her back and was super through (more so than prior ot that exercise). It was great. Can't wait to ride with him again!

kitten_Val 01-04-2011 08:07 PM

How interesting. So he's a dressage instructor? Or eventer? Sounds like fun!

MyBoyPuck 01-04-2011 08:11 PM

Was the patting a way of giving each rein independently? That's an interesting exercise. What level is your horse?

MissH 01-04-2011 08:16 PM

He's a major dressage rider. He does clinics when he's not training/preparing to compete.

Yeah the exercise really was interesting. Like I said I have a problem with my wrists - I'm not always as forgiving as I should be. Patting her on the neck *made* me give my hand, far enough so that she could carry herself. At this point she is more advanced than I am - we are training at first level right now, but when my coach gets on her it's a totally different story.

MyBoyPuck 01-04-2011 08:18 PM

That's the kind of horse you want. It motivates you to keep catching up and the reward is huge when you can get the horse who already knows it to actually do it. She looks lovely.

MissH 01-04-2011 08:22 PM

Thank you so much! Yeah she's a belle for sure. When my coach recommended her she said that specifically - if she bought something that was at my level then, I would've been bored to tears and she knew it. You're right - it's made me keep reaching. At times it feels more difficult because she tests me quite a bit (obviously). My coach can get on her and she looks like an angel. I can ride her five minutes later and she knows its me so she'll test. It's getting better now the more confident I get which is pretty cool.

I debated posting a youtube video to get some feedback - but we all know how that goes. I'm still on the fence. LOL...

MyBoyPuck 01-04-2011 08:25 PM

Just post it here. We're much nicer than the folks on youtube.