The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   How to get my perch/TB cross to move out (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/how-get-my-perch-tb-cross-74906/)

charlesmom 01-05-2011 03:32 AM

How to get my perch/TB cross to move out

I have a 4 year old Percheron/TB cross that I have owned for a little over a year. He was broke in September, after spending 11 months doing ground work with him. He is a sweet dispositioned animal, but has recently become more stubborn about being forward. I want him to move forward willingly, and am fighting all urges to nag him, though this is becoming very frustrating. I have investigated whether or not he could be sore but I do not believe this to be the case.
I am hoping someone has some experience with drafts and draft crosses, and some advice for effective teamwork. I don't want to argue with him anymore! And I don't want to sour him on riding by nagging him.
Thanks!

FoxyRoxy1507 01-05-2011 12:29 PM

get a dressage whip. u ask once w ur leg and the second time u ask w ur leg and a quick swat w the whip this encourages them to move forward and he will start moving off just ur leg a bit quicker and avoid the nagging

charlesmom 01-05-2011 04:06 PM

That is actually what I did on the day I had a really bad ride. But I don't want to have to carry a whip or crop for every ride. Today he actually was more responsive. I had to holler at him but then he tuned in to me and we had a decent ride. I didn't push my luck though. Ended a bit early because I was happy with his obedience.
Do you use the dressage whip behind your leg? I often see it used on the shoulder, but more to lift the shoulder than to encourage forward motion...

BackInTheSaddleAgain 01-05-2011 04:17 PM

My clyde mare is really lazy. Even watching a pro trainer try and get her into a trot was hard to watch. lol

Assuming you've done the basics and not let your horse take advantage of you, have you tried riding in new areas? Horses get bored with the same 'ol routine. They do want to see new things. My mare loves going out and she suddenly becomes a fast walker and leaves the rest of the herd behind her.

It depends on the horse, but doing this might help make moving forward a more rewarding experience which will hopefully carry on into the round pen and arena.

FoxyRoxy1507 01-05-2011 05:16 PM

no u use the whip right behind ur leg bc ur trying to reenforce ur aid and carry a whip for as long as u need to until u get consistent transitions when u ask... if u dont ull end up nagging more and more and get a more dead to aid horse. tapping on the shoulder does nothing bc u have to remember leg usually means forward motion and controls the hindquarters therefore that is where u want to use the whip.

sitbacnroc 01-05-2011 09:09 PM

Just be firm with him, don't let him be the boss you need be. My Perch mare is very lazy and doens't want to move out but if you give them a swat on the shoulder with your reins they usually will behave or even turn in a few tight circles. Something to get them paying attention. Also like someone else said, try taking him somwhere else, he may be bored!

tinyliny 01-05-2011 09:53 PM

It is best to tap behind your leg, but it on all honesty, it doesnt matter as long as you don't crack him on top of head. It's about getting his attention. You have leg on LEG ON and crack! whip says, "hey!, listen up" He knows what you are asking, so a quick slap of the reins on the neck is ok too. It's a wake up gesture.
Some horses need you to carry a whip all the time. Sad to say.

One thing that helps it to set up some sort of game ala barrel racing. Use cones or other items and try to "race" from one place to another. Having a clear destiantion, esepecially when the horse knows what it is, as he will after several repeittions, means moving out with a purpose. When horses chase cattle, they move with a purpose, and they really MOVE!

azarni 01-07-2011 10:48 PM

I found that with my Percheron mare, I only had to carry a whip for a week or so. I would ask her nicely, cluck and not much leg - no response? WHACK. This would usually startle her and get a big reaction. It did not take long for her to get the idea. Every once in a while she needs a refresher ride when she starts to get lazy, but those are few and far between.

tinyliny 01-07-2011 11:21 PM

this video on Youtube shows how light and responsive a large draft horse can be. I love the way the rider sits this horse and how correctly she rides him. He is only 5, clydesdale and is he cute or what?

Oxer 01-07-2011 11:28 PM

my WB was heavy in my hands and lazy on the flat. so i switched bits and started carrying a dressage whip. best thing i ever did. he's a dream for me now. but it took me from September (when i bought him) till my lesson last saturday, to finally it all worked out!