The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   How to wear very long hair under a helmet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/how-wear-very-long-hair-under-74915/)

aspin231 01-05-2011 03:58 AM

How to wear very long hair under a helmet?

So, I searched youtube for tutorials on how to properly put hair up under a helmet, but couldn't find one specificallyfor very long hair.

If I put my hair in a ponytail and flip it over the top of my head, my hair comes all the way over and past my chin. Exhibit A:
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i5...e/IMG_1991.jpg

Soooo... any suggestions? Or should I just wear it in a pretty braided bun low on my neck?

aspin231 01-05-2011 03:59 AM

Sorry to double post-- I look creepy in that pic! lol

MissH 01-05-2011 04:28 PM

LOL I love that photo!!

Question - if you put it in a low ponytail, then braid it, and wrap it in a bun - will your helmet sit straight? If it does, I'd just do that and throw a pretty bun cover on top of it.

Or do you specifically mean you want it completely in your helmet?

Frankiee 01-05-2011 04:48 PM

My hair is also long maybe not as long as you lol but I always put my hair in a french braid it hold nice and out of the way and your face :D

Zeke 01-05-2011 04:52 PM

I just put it in a messy bun at the base of my neck and ride that way, a French braid would work great too but I can't do them on myself haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frankiee 01-05-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 877804)
I just put it in a messy bun at the base of my neck and ride that way, a French braid would work great too but I can't do them on myself haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ya ahha it toke me forever to learn how !!! xD

aspin231 01-05-2011 05:49 PM

I mean for showing and whatnot, it's traditional to have it all in your helmet, correct? I've never tried putting it in a bun wth my helmet on, I'll have to bring my helmet home and give it a try. I normally ride- when schooling or hacking out- with my hair loose, and just throw the helmet on.

I wonder... if I put it in a ponytail, flipped it over, bobby pinned it, then flipped it back, more bobby pins, then a hairnet... would it be in my helmet? I'll try it!

equiniphile 01-05-2011 06:39 PM

For my first show Western I did two french braids, but for English I had to stuff it into a hairbun and it didn't look too good. Interested on opinions on this one....

WickedNag 01-05-2011 06:57 PM

Well, we only show locally but my daughter wears a bun at the base of her neck. It is than put in a net and she looks great.

Zeke 01-05-2011 07:24 PM

Showing is a whole other matter! When I did local stuff I always put the bun I created at the base of my neck into a net...you can find ones specifically for horseshowing that are not the most attractive hairstyle, but perfectly acceptable.

Your gaggle of bobby pins idea sounds like it would work too however.