The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please critique me on my first 2'3 jump BE HARSH! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-critique-me-my-first-23-a-74929/)

jumping lover 01-05-2011 11:38 AM

Please critique me on my first 2'3 jump BE HARSH!

1 Attachment(s)
okay, i know for a fact that i need to go more down in my 2point, and i need to bend my elbows more, and this is no excuse but he is a huge jumper so when he jumps its hard not to get left behind :P but no excuse i really want to be criticized :) thanks in advance BE HARSH!

jumping lover 01-05-2011 12:09 PM

okay, lots of views, please anything! need advice!

jumping lover 01-05-2011 12:10 PM

even if you think everything is bad, pleasee tell me i know its kind of hard to see, sorry about that.

sarahver 01-05-2011 12:20 PM

Well first off you are looking up - well done!

In addition to what you have already mentioned, I think you should work on your lower leg. It should be firmly on the girth, looks like you are gripping too much with your knees and as a result have no weight in your heels and they have swung out from your horses barrel. This is related to you 'popping' out of your two point position in fact. Since there is no base of support for your lower leg you are compensating by pinching at the knee which in turn causes you to come out of the saddle with your hips too far ahead of the motion.

One other comment - your horse actually isn't jumping that big, in fact I am surprised he didn't knock this rail down! If it feels big to you, I think you should drop the height back to 2' for a while until you get the feel and have a more solid position.

Finally, a video would help with this but it seems as if your horse is somewhat sour - his ears are pinned and he is in the middle of swishing his tail, as if he is expecting the worst upon landing. You have a nice length of rein in this photo but how is your release over the rest of the jump? How solid is your two point when you exit the jump?

Klassic Superstar 01-05-2011 12:21 PM

Okay here is somthing that will, help! imgine you have a cord from your5 chest pulling you up. remember should back (also will help more bend in your arms) but with the cord, think you to makea line with your bodey, hip, to ankle and this will help you close your hip angle and put you in better 2 point postions as well as correct you leg from were it is now.

Things i see to really work on with you bodey:
1. close your hip angle
2. knees forward not like your squating and not pinching the saddle with your knees ;P (will help you hip and lower leg)
3. Toes forward heels down withthe your bodey waight balencing.
4. open your shoulders, chest a tad bit more, but really good job looking were you are going!

You look really good, Once you get this down your horse will be able to jump with you not getting left behind, I think if you were to do samm grid work it could help you and your horse alot! All it is, is practice practice practice! I dont see anything terably wrong with this picture, but Im sure we could really help you alot better with a. more pictures. b. better quilty of the picture.

Your horse looks like fun!
Good job and keep up the good work!

jumping lover 01-05-2011 12:45 PM

thanks, and he didnt jump big in this picture:P, and he is swishing, and ears pinned because he is lazy, which is why he looks like he would knock it down :P he always has his ears pinned, :P
but thanks for all of the advice! and we did 2'3 by accident :/ and i know i dont have any other pictures, but recently got a really good camera so will have some more later! but i promise you i usually look better then this, but i wasnt expecting it to be big, lol, he also took the short spot so he like paused and then like went over it? i know video would help :( but thanks so much for the advice i will definatley use it in the future! :)

jumping lover 01-05-2011 01:04 PM

anyone else?

please?

something?

ErikaLynn 01-05-2011 01:16 PM

I can't real see anything because the picture is kind of dark, but I can see that your horse looks kind of angry. He's swishing his tail and his ears are back. It could be because of your position, for instance, your leg could be sliding too far back and hitting in an uncomfortable place. Or you could not be releasing enough. Since I can't really see your form I'm just making assumptions.

jumping lover 01-05-2011 01:19 PM

thanks erikalynn for helping me! and i do need to work on my leg not sliding back, but he is just grumpy because he's lazy so he doesnt want to go over the jump, lazy boy ;) he is just like that, but thanks for making me notice i need to bring my leg forward :)

MyBoyPuck 01-05-2011 05:57 PM

From what I can see, you're pinching with your knee instead of using consistent leg contact all the way through your lower leg. That's all I've got.