The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Rabbit Help! *urgent* (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/rabbit-help-%2Aurgent%2A-74963/)

TKButtermilk 01-05-2011 04:19 PM

Rabbit Help! *urgent*

I think my rabbit might be dying. He's atleast 8. When I went to check on him he had laie down and I just knew he was getting ready to die. He can barely breathe, he has mucus in his nose and throat and one eye. I brought him inside and he laid down again but now he's hopping around, kinda. My question is what should I do? I know he's ancient and he isn't suffering just yet. Should I just stay with him or should I try to take him to the vet? I love this rabbit more than anything, he's been there through a lot with me. I would have rushed Him to the vet but I don't want to put him throuth unnecessary stress if I should just be loving him and waiting till he let's go.
Posted via Mobile Device

hanny93 01-05-2011 04:37 PM

It sounds like he has a respiratory problem, aggravated possibly by his bedding or feed. Have you changed the brand or type recently?
Also, rabbits can live up to 15 years old, I had two English Lops and they were kept outside and were chased by a stary dog a couple of times and they lived to be about twelve, one died of a stomach tumour the other of pneumonia.
If he is of a healthy weight, and his general demeanour has been fine recently I would suggest keeping him inside.
He could have a rabbitversion of a cold and needs to be kept warm, or he could have pneumonia or something like that, which needs to be attended to by the vet.
Call the vet anyway, the least he can do is assure you your rabbit is fine :)

TKButtermilk 01-05-2011 04:48 PM

I did recently give him another food, his normal stuff got ruined in the rain so I just bought a cheap brand for a few days until I could get to the feed store. He was pretty much dead earlier, but now he's hopping around a bit and can breathe better, I have been removing the crusties around his nose with a warm washcloth and that seems to have helped. He does live outside, in a hutch in bad weather and a 6x6 pen when its nice
Posted via Mobile Device

hanny93 01-05-2011 04:54 PM

It might be too dusty, or it might have something in he's allergic to and this could jst be an allergic reaction.
Is the mucus flow (sorry that sounds disgusting) still as heavy as it was when you first noticed it? since you took hiom away from his normal environment? If it's reduced then it is a 75% chance its a reaction to his bedding or food. When did you buy the new food?

TKButtermilk 01-05-2011 05:05 PM

He has been on the same food his whole life, except for a few days recently when I bought cheap stuff that he's been eating for maybe 4 days tops? He's looking much better since I cleaned out his airways. I put him out in his pen while I go get some of his normal food without shavings or the food. He's chipper enough to flick water in my face and is eating alfalfa. My moms going to watch him for me while I'm gone and if he looks any different shell bring him back inside. We're just worried about mold in the house as we recently had a flood.
Posted via Mobile Device

hanny93 01-05-2011 05:09 PM

I think he should be fine if he's happy enough to flick water in your face! That made me laugh, my rabbit used to smile at me, and it wasnt aggressive either! Wish i had pics! Keep an eye out for any laboured breathing, excessive (more than once in a short space of time) sneezing and looking generally unwell. If you do want to move him on to another brand of food, you should do it in stages, i.e. 90% of his old food, 10% of his new, then a couple of days later 80/20, then, 70/30, you get the picture.
I'd say maybe take him to the vets just in case there is an underlying problem like pneumonia etc but he sounds like he's just fine :)
Good luck! :)

TKButtermilk 01-05-2011 11:46 PM

I'm having the worst day ever! Buster(rabbit) is looking about the same as when he was inside. He's quiet but will thump at me and be annoyed at my "moming". I'm going to leave him outside tonight, I went to bring him in but he was happy in his house out there and its really not cold at all. Weird southern CA. HOWEVER, here's where the worst day ever part comes in. I totally passed out at around 4 and didn't wake up till 8. I sleep bigtimee when I'm stressed. Buster is fine but one of my stupid guinea pigs escaped! I had them out in a gate so that they could get some sun and eat all the good stuff. Unfortunately there is a TON of good stuff and its VERY hard to look through! I looked through everything, no luck yet. Hoping in the morning he'll pop up. I guess its good it was him and not my other one since the other is white and wouldn't stand a chance but man white one would be easier to find! Burrito(non escapee pig) is veeeerryy quiet though, like weirdly so which kind of makes me think the worst..bahh.
Posted via Mobile Device

TKButtermilk 01-06-2011 01:57 PM

Update on Buster, he's the same as yesterday. Still has a stuffy nose but is breathing okay and relatively active. I've kept cleaning his face and that seems to help. He chased my cat around the living room this morning. He's eating, drinking and going to the bathroom normally. I am trying to find a way to get him to a vet, its just so expensive
Posted via Mobile Device

TKButtermilk 01-06-2011 01:59 PM

Update on Buster, he's the same as yesterday. Still has a stuffy nose but is breathing okay and relatively active. I've kept cleaning his face and that seems to help. He chased my cat around the living room this morning. He's eating, drinking and going to the bathroom normally. I am trying to find a way to get him to a vet, its just so expensive and we are verrryy broke and the last time we took a guinea pig to the vet it was $80 for just the visit! Eerrrk. .
Posted via Mobile Device

TKButtermilk 01-15-2011 02:32 AM

I called multiple vets and could not find one I could afford, at $80 to just walk in the door its just not doable when I have my horses, dogs cats etc. Its NOT that he isnt worth it and if I had the cash he wouldve been there a week ago but I dont and $80 can go much further toward actual care for another animal that isnt an "exotic". Because rabbits dont get colds not only would they have the $80 exam fee but they would have to do multiple tests to find out what it is and it would take a few visits. I may sound heatless, but I'm not. My life is major poopoo right now and I'm just trying to survive, he picked the worst time to get sick! So I explained everything to a rescue and they are going to take him and get him the care he needs. Hopefully I'll be able to pay them back and bring him home, but IDK if theyd give him back. They were VERY understanding of my situation and are wonderful people. Please, no one rail me on vet bills being part of owning a pet and that I'm pawning him off on someone else. The 3 other humane societies I called to try and get him help have already done that. I feel like a horrendous person and that I have failed him, and I cant stop crying about my guilt and that I am going to have to let him go with them tomorrow. Right now we are losing our home and my family is being farmed out to various relatives and friends until me and my mom can get jobs (horse training just isnt cutting it for me, and jobs are IMPOSSIBLE to find around here, so sick of rejection.) and Buster was just one more thing. Thankfully there are amazing rescues out there willing to help people who get into trouble like this.