The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Anyone tried burning horse manure? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/anyone-tried-burning-horse-manure-74973/)

watt20 01-05-2011 05:58 PM

Anyone tried burning horse manure?

Hi ya. Due to the freezing cold weather caused by what, oh yes global WARMING ! (aye that would be right!) and the rising cost of heating oil I have been looking for a cheap and cheerful alternative fuel. Came across an article on Equine Compare about burning horse manure. All you need is a brickette maker which I have duly been out and bought and a supply of horse manure, which as I poo pick too wheel barrows of a day, I have more than enough of. Make the brick leave for a couple of weeks and you can apparently burn on an open fire or wood burner - and supposedly it has no smell. Sounds too good to be true - doesn't it? Wondering if anyone has tried/used this method and if you have any success/failure stories? Only thing concerning me is the other half came across a web site that said if the smoke came into the room that it could cause some lung disease in women and children - he never made a note of the website though. Anyone have any information about this at all? many thanks

A knack for horses 01-05-2011 06:05 PM

Welcome to the Horse Forum!

Well, I know of people who have burned manure piles to decrease fly populations (and it works pretty well). I've never heard of people using it to heat their home. Back in the old days, people living on the prarie burned Buffalo chips to heat their houses, so I think it would be safe, but those were buffalo chips, not horse chips.

Sorry I wasn't too much help, but its an interesting idea!

kitten_Val 01-05-2011 06:29 PM

Actually I read something like that too while while back but about cow poop. With all these manure (and prices on firewood) it would be a beneficial idea! :lol:

Hidalgo13 01-05-2011 06:34 PM

The people who live in hot, desert climates use camel and goat poop, don't see why horse poop wouldn't work. After all, all they eat is grass, hay... natural stuff really, nothing toxic or weird :wink:. You could try a bit, see how it goes?

equiniphile 01-05-2011 06:35 PM

I've heard it REEKS, so make sure you're okay with not being on very good terms with your neighbors :lol:

ponyboy 01-05-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watt20 (Post 877893)
Only thing concerning me is the other half came across a web site that said if the smoke came into the room that it could cause some lung disease in women and children

Which of course is not a good enough reason not to try it? Sheesh.

Hidalgo13 01-05-2011 07:23 PM

:shock: oups, didn't read that part. :? Haha, ya if you do try it, just make sure you have some good ventilation in your house.

Tymer 01-05-2011 10:30 PM

I'm pretty sure that caused some major epidemic to come about...Small pox or something. We're supposed to be vaccinated against it but still not healthy.

The problem does not come from what they eat but what is in what they ate, and what is in them. Bacteria from a horse is okay for that horse to eat- it's its own bacteria. If we breathe in their bacteria, we can have SERIOUS medical issues. Do not do this.

Hidalgo13 01-05-2011 11:26 PM

:shock: oOoh, good thing you knew this and said it.

kitten_Val 01-06-2011 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tymer (Post 878384)
The problem does not come from what they eat but what is in what they ate, and what is in them. Bacteria from a horse is okay for that horse to eat- it's its own bacteria. If we breathe in their bacteria, we can have SERIOUS medical issues. Do not do this.

How can you breath-in a bacteria from the stored manure? Or even if you burn something? I guess all of us breath them in on daily basis then...