The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Not sure what its worth - saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/not-sure-what-its-worth-saddle-74976/)

PrettyBlueOverYou 01-05-2011 07:44 PM

Not sure what its worth - saddle

Hi, Im thinking of selling my saddle in order to get one with a deeper seat. Im not sure what I should asking for it. Im wondering what you guys think.
Its a close contact Santa Cruise, with a 17" seat and a wide tree. I bought it (new) for around $800 while it was on sale and the original price was a bit over $1000. Its in great condition (No scratches, nicks, dents) even though ive had it for almost 3 years. Its dark brown (reddish brown) and is two-toned, (its beige on the underside if that makes sense lol). I also have to original Santa Cruise cover that came with it.
I dont have any pictures of it right now.
Im hoping to get enough money from it to get a decent saddle with a deeper seat.
Also I was wondering if anybody had some experience with trading used saddles at a store, or something along those lines.
Any ideas?

JustDressageIt 01-05-2011 07:56 PM

I'd ask for $700 or so, and you can move down a bit from there. Do you have photos? Also, the brand is spelled Santa Cruz :)

PrettyBlueOverYou 01-05-2011 08:06 PM

Thats reassuring, I was hoping for somewhere around there.

luvs2ride1979 01-05-2011 09:41 PM

Does it have padded flaps and knee rolls? If so, I'd say $500-600 in our current economy. If it doesn't have padded flaps and knee rolls, then you'd be looking at the low end of that, or less. Plain close contact saddles are not "in style" right now.

iridehorses 01-05-2011 09:47 PM

luvs2ride is where I would place the value. If you are looking to trade it at a tack shop, keep in mind that they will give you wholesale for your saddle, not the 500 - 600 that they will sell it for but closer to 300- 400 and then apply it to the retail price for their saddle. It's no different then trading in a car.