The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Movies, Music, and TV (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/)
-   -   This REALLY bugged me when I saw it (on youtube) (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/really-bugged-me-when-i-saw-75015/)

JulieinPA 01-06-2011 12:35 AM

This REALLY bugged me when I saw it (on youtube)

Baby Floating (a 7 month old baby floating in a swimming pool - "learning" how to "self rescue")
I couldn't stand to watch it! I literally CRIED ... just thinking about what is going through that baby's mind. I know that "baby floating" is nothing new, but I've never actually SEEN it done before. When I stumbled onto this video I couldn't imagine ever doing this with my own baby!

I do realize however - this is a "self rescue" technique. And perhaps it's not such a bad thing. BUT I just can't imagine flipping my 7 month old baby around in a pool like this!! Surely there's a gentler, safer approach!?

Amba1027 01-06-2011 12:42 AM

I have never seen/heard of anything like this ever. What is the point?? On one hand I want to say the baby must be ok with it because it isn't crying or thrashing around and doesn't really seem upset. On the other hand it might just be so terrified that it can no longer function... I just don't know what to think.

One thing I do wonder and worry about is when she is flipping the baby over and putting it's face in the water. Babies don't (as far as I'm aware) understand having to hold their breath. That baby must be in danger of inhaling water when she is putting it's face in the water. Although it doesn't appear that that is happening, but still. I would never do that.

tinyliny 01-06-2011 12:47 AM

That is freaky, but the baby doesn't seem distressed. I wonder how they risk it the first time. I guess you just have to have faith that instinct will kick in, but I would not be able to stand that. Reminds me of the scene in "The Joy Luck Club" where the mother drowns her baby. Makes me sob when I see it. Very heart rending. Can we change the subject now?

lacyloo 01-06-2011 12:49 AM

Never heard of this either...
I would like more info on this "event".
Weird...

JulieinPA 01-06-2011 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amba1027 (Post 878576)
I have never seen/heard of anything like this ever. What is the point?? On one hand I want to say the baby must be ok with it because it isn't crying or thrashing around and doesn't really seem upset. On the other hand it might just be so terrified that it can no longer function... I just don't know what to think.

One thing I do wonder and worry about is when she is flipping the baby over and putting it's face in the water. Babies don't (as far as I'm aware) understand having to hold their breath. That baby must be in danger of inhaling water when she is putting it's face in the water. Although it doesn't appear that that is happening, but still. I would never do that.

Well here's a video that explains the "point" in doing it:

But I still think there should surely be a safer approach to teaching a young child water safety. Or even if someone were to do this whole "floating baby - self rescue" thing ... WHY just flip your baby around like a ball like this woman does!? How can that poor baby NOT be startled!? The poor baby has no idea what's going to happen next and WHEN to breathe and when NOT to breathe! And towards the end of the video it looked like the baby gasped for air a little bit. I mean - the poor thing was sitting on the deck and she suddenly flips it backwards into the water! The part that bothered me the most was how careless the woman seemed. She didn't seem very loving and careful. She acted like the baby was a play toy flipping it around in the pool. I feel so bad for the baby just wondering what it's thinking.

JulieinPA 01-06-2011 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 878580)
That is freaky, but the baby doesn't seem distressed. I wonder how they risk it the first time. I guess you just have to have faith that instinct will kick in, but I would not be able to stand that. Reminds me of the scene in "The Joy Luck Club" where the mother drowns her baby. Makes me sob when I see it. Very heart rending. Can we change the subject now?

I agree that the baby doesn't seem "distressed" .. But imho I think the baby looks startled and uncertain of what is going to happen next AND what JUST happened. That's what REALLY gets me. I want MY baby to trust me 100%. I don't want her for a second to think "what's happening - why isn't my mommy helping me, why is she throwing me in the water" or so to speak. I personally think that the general goal is obviously a good one (self rescue). But it just seems so brutal the way the woman portrays it in this video. Like I said - she acts like she's playing with a pool toy just flipping it about as she pleases.

JulieinPA 01-06-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacyloo (Post 878583)
Never heard of this either...
I would like more info on this "event".
Weird...

Well, supposedly (and I'm no expert on this, but I HAVE heard about it before) an infant will instinctively hold their breath when under water. And apparantly the younger you start with your baby (although I don't think they do it under 3months) the better. The older they get - they tend to lose that instinct. So people do these "self rescue" lessons in order to teach the baby how to deal with water and to bring out those natural instincts. Basically - they Practice the baby's Instincts to teach the baby how to float and/or "swim." It does work - according to research and videos (like the one I posted above of the news clip). But I still have a hard time imagining being able to toss my baby under water!!!
The point in all of it is obviously so that if the baby/child falls into water, they can "self rescue" and just float/swim until someone gets them out. So it is done for good reason. But I think that EVERYTHING and ANYTHING can be taken overboard - and personally I think the video of the woman with the baby that I posted in my original thread - I think that she is way to careless and that poor baby looks startled!
Now perhaps if it was done in a more caring way, it might not bother me so much. But the way she does it really gets to me.

Amba1027 01-06-2011 01:04 AM

Ok I can understand wanting to try and prevent your kid from drowning but when they are that young WHY would you have them be in a situation where they could end up in the water? Unless you are going to leave your baby unattended right next to a pool (and anyone with half a brain won't be doing that) and they roll themselves in, there's no way for a baby who can't even walk to end up in a pool. I love how the intructor was talking about how her baby was in the pool at the wall and she turned her back for a minute and when she turned back around he was floating in the middle of the pool. Ok great, the training saved your baby from drowning. But maybe you shouldn't be putting your 8 month old in the pool by himself. And you sure as hell shouldn't be turning your back while he's in there. That also would prevent drowning.

Lonestar22 01-06-2011 01:08 AM

I think it's a great idea!

If I can help my child by teaching it a life saving technique in a safe enviorment then HELL YES I'm going to do it!!

Accidents happen. Thats why this is important. Especially if you have a pool.

I was taught to swim at a very young age. And I cannot imagine not knowing how to swim. I recently read about 6 teenagers who drown because neither they nor the adults they were with could swim.

I believe that putting my child through minimal discomfort to teach it something that could save his/her life is nessecary. It is your job as a parent to keep your child safe at all times. That being said, you cannot allways be there. So for the times that you are not there your child should know how to respond to certain situations.

JulieinPA 01-06-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amba1027 (Post 878599)
Ok I can understand wanting to try and prevent your kid from drowning but when they are that young WHY would you have them be in a situation where they could end up in the water? Unless you are going to leave your baby unattended right next to a pool (and anyone with half a brain won't be doing that) and they roll themselves in, there's no way for a baby who can't even walk to end up in a pool. I love how the intructor was talking about how her baby was in the pool at the wall and she turned her back for a minute and when she turned back around he was floating in the middle of the pool. Ok great, the training saved your baby from drowning. But maybe you shouldn't be putting your 8 month old in the pool by himself. And you sure as hell shouldn't be turning your back while he's in there. That also would prevent drowning.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!! Personally, I'm a VERY cautious person and extremely protective. I keep an eagle's eye on my children. Always have. We've had a baby pool every year since my oldest daughter Jasmine was a year old. The only time that she was in it, near it, or even within the AREA of it - I was there with her. Then this summer (2010) we finally got her a bigger pool (one of those inflatable top ones) and it's like 3' deep. So she can stand up in it. I still watch her in that as well. Plus I've been teaching her how to swim. As for my baby - there's NO way for her to get into our 3' deep pool. It doesn't have a ladder (we never bought one). Our older daughter is JUST tall enough to get her legs up and over the edge and get in. But the ONLY way our baby could get in is literally if someone physically PUT her in on purpose. Plus again, like I said - I watch my kids closely. I always taught our daughter about safety and warned her to stay away from lakes, ponds, etc. (even though I was always watching anyway) She's VERY well educated on safety of all kinds. Stranger danger, Water/Drowing, Wild Animals, Dogs that she doesn't know, etc. And btw - she is a VERY good girl, and I'm not just saying that.
And like you said - the kid can't even walk yet - how are they gonna get to a swimming pool unless YOU put them there! Or even if they can walk - confine the area with the pool. Or don't have a pool. And always watch your child - never turn your back away - especially if there in a possibly dangerous position/location. Seriously people - ugh. Sorry. They just make me mad.