The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   a few bridle questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/few-bridle-questions-75030/)

Lonannuniel 01-06-2011 10:49 AM

a few bridle questions

here are a few questions i have --

1. Is there anyway to "tie down"( for lack of a better word) a flash if it cannot be removed from the bridle? I would like to try riding without a flash on and the one on my bridle cannot be removed.

2. how tight should the brow band be?

3. how do you find the right length to have the cheek straps (? the part that attatches to the bit)

4. due to bad storage on my part, one of my bridle's noseband has bent so it's sort of at a downward angle, are there any ways to bend it back?

ErikaLynn 01-06-2011 10:59 AM

My answers are bolded under the question

1. Is there anyway to "tie down"( for lack of a better word) a flash if it cannot be removed from the bridle? I would like to try riding without a flash on and the one on my bridle cannot be removed.

If you cannot remove the flash and want to ride without one, just get a new nose band. Here is a link to some

Dover Saddlery - Search Results for nose band

The brow band should lay flat on the horses head, and be straight across. But not tight at all.

3. how do you find the right length to have the cheek straps (? the part that attatches to the bit)

For the cheek straps, when the bridle is on, the bit should make 2 creases on the sides of the horses mouth.

4. due to bad storage on my part, one of my bridle's noseband has bent so it's sort of at a downward angle, are there any ways to bend it
back?

I'm not too sure about this, but you can try and store your bridle so the nose band is not bent. Or you can get a new nose band.

RunnWalk 01-06-2011 12:42 PM

A: You can buy new cavessons for your bridle. Such as on statelinetack.com or chicksaddlery.com.

A. It doesn't need to be super tight. It's just there for added security. Ideally you might want to fit 1 or 2 fingers between the horse's head and the browband. I like to keep them fairly snug to keep my horse's ears from flopping. This would be more for a show ring if you show. If you just trail ride it can be as loose as you want it to be.

The bit should, ideally, be snug enough to put either 2 wrinkles at the corners of the mouth, at the most, and loosest would be either one wrinkle or no wrinkles if you like. Just experiment with different lengths and find what your horse rides the best in.

4. due to bad storage on my part, one of my bridle's noseband has bent so it's sort of at a downward angle, are there any ways to bend it back?

Try to bend it as much as you can with your hands, then use it like you normally would. It will eventually go back to normal shape with use. This happens to my equipment quite often.