The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Training My First Draft Horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/training-my-first-draft-horses-75037/)

draft 01-06-2011 10:46 AM

Training My First Draft Horses?

I'm 30 years old and getting ready to purchase my first draft(clydesdale colt) and I was needing to see if anyone has good tips on the best and safest way to do this. I know your thinking "WHAT" but this has been a great passion of mine for awhile now and my wife has had horses for years so it's my turn now! LOL Let me know what you guys think.

GreyRay 01-06-2011 11:22 AM

Safest way to do what? Train him?
Draft horses are really easy to train(except for the rare rotten ones).
How old is he?
Posted via Mobile Device

draft 01-06-2011 11:50 AM

Sorry about that, Yeah to train them. I'm buying a colt so that we can grow together

GreyRay 01-06-2011 11:56 AM

If your wife has experiance, then it should work out just fine.
Training drafts is pretty easy compared to smaller horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

draft 01-06-2011 11:59 AM

I guess I'm more concerned about how to train them to pull a wagon... I've been told that using a tractor tire to do ground work is a good start but how long do you do ground work and when do you switch to pull a trainer wagon?

GreyRay 01-06-2011 12:04 PM

The hardest part about teaching them to pull, is getting them used to the shafts. Once they will ground drive and take a harness, you can usually hook up a small log/tire/skid and they will take to it just fine. But when you put them in the shafts they feel trapped and have a tendancy to fight the restiction. This problems is not as bad if you are hitching up a team, but that would require 2 drafts :)
Posted via Mobile Device

draft 01-06-2011 12:06 PM

That is the plan, I'm wanting to buy 2 so that they grow up together and be more of a team. Well thanks for your advise.

GreyRay 01-06-2011 12:10 PM

If your gonna train them together, you will have to ground drive them as a team before you have them pull anything. That way they can get used to moving with each other. Get them turning, backing up, ect. If their is anyone local who can help you when training time comes, it would be good to ask them for advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

chvyluvgrl 01-18-2011 08:34 PM

Good luck I love draft horses. They are great.