The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Please Critique Me and My Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/please-critique-me-my-horse-75076/)

CrystalKiwi 01-06-2011 07:59 PM

Please Critique Me and My Horse
 
This is poppy, my trainers appaloosa mare. She is 20 years old, but is still going strong! I've been riding/training her for a year now. When she came to my trainer, she had been a pasture horse, but she had supposedly competed in reining. Never know what to believe at auctions, huh? Anyway, she was completely a western horse, would not canter, and HATED to steer. I've been run into trees multiple times with her, but it has made me all the better rider. I've been training her in english since april, and I think we are progressing very well. I plan on teaching her some jumping in the spring.

as for me, my name is Amanda, i've been riding for two years, and absolutely love it! I've been at this barn for one year, due to my old barn being expensive and me not learning anything more. and that's about it..

Please do not comment on my heels, I had like three layers jammed into my boot, that was the last thing I was worried about! haha not to mention, this was my 3rd ride in my new saddle ♥


thank you to any and all who critique. I would like to know if she is a good jumping prospect, any tips on getting her to move more fluently and accept the bit, anything really.

888vegas888 01-06-2011 08:10 PM

You both look great! i would suggest, though, when you're at the canter (she seems a little lazy there :lol:) but i do see nice, good, strong contact between her and your leg. the most i really see is that you seem like you're kind of "pumping" with your shoulders (i used to have that problem a while ago too) just sit down, keep your upper body open and still, but let the rythym move through your hips than your shoulders. also it wouldn't hurt to s t r e t c h your torse up and your leg down as much as you can. as for the problem on moving forward and fluently, you could try really jamming the spur into her gut (not for a long time, just to get her attention) and rising up into a half seat while stretching your arms out with your hands a bit further up on her neck. that will give her a little motor and a nice soft loop in the rein for her to move out with.

This video here may help you out a lot. this girl has AMAZING equitation!

otherwise, you look awesome, and shes rockin and rollin for the age of 20!

CrystalKiwi 01-06-2011 08:16 PM

thank you (: I was encouraging her to go a bit on the slow side because we do pleasure showing in the summer. But I guess a good exercise may be to practice a faster canter in a headset. She's just learning to keep a headset in an english trot. I will try harder to do that next time in the canter! It's a bit rough though because its so cold in michigan during the winter, and that + a new saddle to break in doesn't make for a good eq combination, haha.

888vegas888 01-06-2011 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalKiwi (Post 879636)
thank you (: I was encouraging her to go a bit on the slow side because we do pleasure showing in the summer. But I guess a good exercise may be to practice a faster canter in a headset. She's just learning to keep a headset in an english trot. I will try harder to do that next time in the canter! It's a bit rough though because its so cold in michigan during the winter, and that + a new saddle to break in doesn't make for a good eq combination, haha.

i completely understand about the whole "new saddle" deal, haha. been there done that! :lol: and yes, i did notice but forgot to point out that her headset looks completely phenomenal in the trot. :)

CrystalKiwi 01-06-2011 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 888vegas888 (Post 879654)
i completely understand about the whole "new saddle" deal, haha. been there done that! :lol: and yes, i did notice but forgot to point out that her headset looks completely phenomenal in the trot. :)

so thats how this forum works!
thank you (: We hadn't even worked on it that much, but she was on a new joint supplement that day and was a bit strong headed, so I thought why not. She really is a phenomenal horse. Good pick up from the auction for sure!

888vegas888 01-06-2011 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalKiwi (Post 879659)
so thats how this forum works!
thank you (: We hadn't even worked on it that much, but she was on a new joint supplement that day and was a bit strong headed, so I thought why not. She really is a phenomenal horse. Good pick up from the auction for sure!

what did you mean by "so thats how this forum works" ??? just wondering, i just kinda didnt get it, blonde moment. :lol:

CrystalKiwi 01-06-2011 08:29 PM

the whole quote thing. I was wondering how to put a reply! (:

888vegas888 01-06-2011 08:32 PM

oh okay haha. well yes, she looks loke a really nice horse, and you're a perfect match for her. :D

CrystalKiwi 01-06-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 888vegas888 (Post 879670)
oh okay haha. well yes, she looks loke a really nice horse, and you're a perfect match for her. :D

thank you!:D

tinyliny 01-06-2011 09:19 PM

Crystal,

I see a very composed and balanced rider on a horse that seems mostly happy , composed and balance, too. She is 20, so modify your expectations accordingly, and she has come to this sort of training late in life. With that in mind, you should be very happy with how far you have come.
It is true that you might be able to get a littl more ump out of her, but you also stand to get her irritated and unhappy. Unless she is really holding back, I would not jab her with spurs, but rather encourage her more forward , little by little, rewarding her occasionally by allowing her to stretch forward and go on the buckle (very loose rein). She has given a lot into this equation, so push it slowly.
With this in mind, and seeing how nicely balanced and quiet you are, you might work on getting her to stretch forward at a canter and then to collect her back up. Working on longitudially lengthening and shortening your horse, all slowly without haste or pressure and keeping exactly the same easy rythm.
Try it.
You have a lot of potential as a rider!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0