The Horse Forum banner

If You Have A Wild Horse (Or One That was once Wild) Did You Train/Brake It Yourself??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustangs Anyone????

6K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  wakiya 
#1 ·
Hey does anyone have a mustang? I do if you have a mustang that was once wild I want to hear your story and a pic. i will post mine here in a min. but i love hearing about wild horses that a lot of people would say no way i will ever get on or near that wild thing and then some brave and kind person does and sees that they are the best kind of horses you can have!! :D

#2 ·
MUSTANGS

HEY there yes i have MUSTANGS 2.5 right now have had a lot of them nothing comes close to a mustang. for an honest horse although its takes more time to train them but once you have there trust you have a horse that will do anything you ask but you have to ask nicely . the only other horse breed that i would have if it was between them and all other breeds would be the saddlebred and that is do to a very regal saddlei just recently lost but was equal to my mustangs in the thinking first before reacting If i could only have 2 breeds it would be MUSTANG first then SADDLEBRED but i have all different tyupes from qt twh mustangs mustang crosses and just now a arab mare but nothing on earth equals a mustang to my belief and yes i train my own off the range

#3 ·
I have a mustang that I bought from a person in another state that bred the sire and dam (both were once wild). so i guess you can say he's the first generation domestic bred lol. I love him to death. by far mustangs are my fav. the only thing this horse knew how to do when i got him was somewhat trailer, halter, sometimes pick up feet. I have pretty much worked him from the ground up and I can just about do anything with this horse. All within time as he is still young (only 2), I will be saddle breaking him, ect. but as far as groundwork goes, he is excelling. I wouldnt trade him for the world ;)

#9 · (Edited)
There is one sulphur filly up for adoption right now that I really want:

there are a lot of cute ones but she is the typiest (though the pictures aren't great and are hard to go on)
Surprisingly, one looks to have some Arab blood...hmm

I hope all of them find great homes they are such wonderful horses, but I want that filly

If I could see them in person...but then I'd want to take them...

#10 ·
I have a half mustang, his dam was caught in nevada. (i didn't click on the poll since he was not born in the wild)

here's my big boy

Horse Mammal Vertebrate Pasture Mane

I used to ride his mother and she was the best horse, would go anywhere and do anything. Perfect trail horse. she was 15.1 hh and my boy is 16.1hh, i wish i knew for certain what his sire was, i was told appaloosa.

#13 ·
I would love to have a mustang, I really like them I think they are gorgeous and have such 'history'. There was one for sale on craigslist for a while, kept lowering the price because she wasn't really broke. Man I would have gotten her if I had a barn in my backyard. I understand that they require more one on one time with their person to gain their trust and i'm completely ok with that. But my friend said I shouldn't get one because I like jumping and mustangs are not 'good' for jumping. ??? Now I don't do any competition like jumping or any huge high jumps or anything like that. You're telling me I can't have a mustang and go over small crossrails? I doubt it, what's YOUR opinion

#14 ·
There is such a huge variety among mustangs that I feel it is impossible to say that no mustang is well suited to this or that discipline. They come in all shapes, temperaments, colors, and sizes... if you look hard enough you can find just the one for you and what you'd like to do.

Sure, you may not find a Grand Prix level competitor among the mustangs, but there's some pretty darn good ones out there.

#15 ·
That's a myth! Pure Spanish Mustangs (different from BLM) are very good jumpers and they're only around 14 h and can EASILY clear 4' and I've heard up to 6'. That being said many BLM horses are even better for jumping because they have a lot of TB blood and some have draft which I've heard they can be great jumpers. You can get a BLM mustang for any purpose because each HMA has different influences. They are great horses and not all of them take as long to come around.
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
my friend who boards my horses for me has two mustangs and three burros from the BLM here in NV. they are AMAZING horses and all except one burro were brought home at under 1yr of age. the two older mustangs are currently at the BLM for saddle breaking/basic training (which is remarkably cost effective). i can't wait for them to come back so i can help with the mileage. :D

#20 ·
If I could I would love to buy and train some BLM mustangs (and burros, of course!). Mainly because they are a dying breed. BLM is taking thousands of mustangs off of the suitable ranges and placing them into holding pens while they wait to be adopted. (Some die before they can be adopted, though.) I would love to breed them, too, if I could. If I could ever find some healthy ones with good personalities (once they are calmed down, of course.)

Government should never get themselves involved with wild animals unless for the better, especially when it means eradicating native species so humans can have more space. It's like if we went out into the wild and collected all the tigers, then made them run all they way to a holding pen. I want my great great great great great grandchildren to be able to enjoy these horses. Is that too much to ask? I don't even know if I will be able to enjoy any of these horses.

#21 · (Edited)
Alright, I've been biting my tongue for too long:

Mustangs are not a dying breed... in fact, the BLM is having major challenges preventing the opposite: a population boom that would destroy the land which the horses subsist on and result in the horrific death of all of them. Plus, the mustangs are not in any way shape or form a native species. They are an invasive species introduced by the Europeans way back when. They compete with the REAL native animals like deer, elk, bison etc for resources.

The BLM feeds and manages all of the horses they bring in from the range. The horses are usually in worse shape coming into the pens than they are going out. The BLM vaccinates, worms, and feeds the horses regularly... which is more than can be said for horses on the range.

The BLM keeps what are called Herd Management Areas... think of them as horse breeding ranches. In Oregon in particular, the BLM carefully manages which horses are left out on the range and which ones are brought in to prevent too much inbreeding and ensure that the resulting horses are as conformationally sound as possible. If you think of it as a breeding operation it should make more sense... no horse breeder would keep all of the horses that they were breeding together in one place for a multitude of reasons. So some of them need to be rounded up and offered for adoption. It isn't the BLM's fault if no one who wants the mustangs to stay out on the range and be pretty ponies for generations to admire is willing to adopt the ones who need new homes.

I think mustangs are awesome, and I think we should definitely keep them around... but anyone who thinks that the BLM is on some sort of vendetta against the mustangs is sorely mistaken. There are plenty of other threats we need to focus our attention on without trying to transform the BLM into some sort of beastly organization.

And thus my rant ends.

#22 ·
^^ Well said, Eolith.

Most Mustangs have the potential to be very nice horses with the proper training. I have 2 that I ride (one of which is my main horse that I adore).

Yes, they can certainly jump. Dobe tried to jump out of a 5 foot pen and would have made it if he'd had a good start to the fence but he tried it from a standstill.

Mustangs, as a breed in general, are a "Jack of all trades, master of none" type horse. You can most certainly find one with the conformation suited to dressage, jumping, XC, cutting, reining, WP, etc if you just look around some. However, the odds that they would ever get to the top levels of said discipline are very unlikely. They may be very good at the lower or even moderate levels, but to pit them in a fierce competition with a horse that has been bred for generations to excel at any particular discipline would be folly.

#27 ·
Yes like any horse its the training you put in that will determine your end product.

Mustangs can jump for sure, or at least the ones in my country can. There is one full mustang doing 2** eventing and 1 partbred doinf 3*** and it just won its first advanced start.

EOLITH agree a lot with wht your saying....People have this idae that the horses are thriving out on the ranges, but i know where i am at least they had built up such huge populations that the horses were in terrrible shape dying of starvation etc.

Makes me laugh when people take on wild horses and then start up breeding program to save the breed, You dont need to breed them while so many are still free, or their are so many being sent to slaughter!

anyway check out my wild horses

www.wildhorseproject.blogspot.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.