The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Harnessing question (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/harnessing-question-75172/)

sitbacnroc 01-07-2011 08:29 PM

Harnessing question

I have a percheron filly that is coming on two this spring so we plan on starting her driving training this late spring/early summer and I was wondering if she's old enough to start just simply getting her used to wearing the harness and being bridled and such? I know she has to mature before actually working with her but I'm thinking until she's ready I could start having her learn to stand and behave for being harnessed up. So, thoughts on this? I've been working a lot on her ground manners and learning to stand quiet and such and she isn't spooky or anything.
Thanks!

churumbeque 01-07-2011 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sitbacnroc (Post 880874)
I have a percheron filly that is coming on two this spring so we plan on starting her driving training this late spring/early summer and I was wondering if she's old enough to start just simply getting her used to wearing the harness and being bridled and such? I know she has to mature before actually working with her but I'm thinking until she's ready I could start having her learn to stand and behave for being harnessed up. So, thoughts on this? I've been working a lot on her ground manners and learning to stand quiet and such and she isn't spooky or anything.
Thanks!

It is not too early. I would be line driving her also and getting her used to lots of things

draftgrl 01-08-2011 03:59 AM

You can actually start training to drive at a year old or even earlier, my dad actually bought his first team at 6 months old where they were all set to drive. Personally I believe that's a bit early, it doesnt give the horse the chance to be a horse, but, with harness's they don't put hardly any strain on the horse. Good luck with your lil gal. What kind of driving you plan on doing?

sitbacnroc 01-08-2011 07:32 AM

Thanks for the replies! Right now we have a one horse spring buggy
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2723678_n.jpg
and we will probably use her (and Ash too) for plowing our gardens and such and we would like a sleigh for in winter. We just want to use them for fun and enjoyment :) No competitive driving. My grandpa grew up using draft horses for everything and so this has just been a great enjoyment to go back to his childhood. We may eventually get a wagon for both of them so they can be a team.

jimmy 01-08-2011 03:02 PM

i agree and wish you luck with her

furandfeather 01-08-2011 03:44 PM

here in the uk we start them at 2and 3 yr olds in times past the foals used to run atthe side of there dams whilst ploughung good luck.

Adenfire 01-08-2011 10:54 PM

I had my colt ground driving by a year and was used to pulling the training shafts and some weight (small tire) but the end of his 2 year old year, I ground drove him EVERYWHERE for that period of time so that by the time he was 3 years old I hooked him up and he was pretty much done 'cept for some finishing work to make him show worthy.

Adenfire 01-08-2011 10:55 PM

WOops...I meant to end with So I'd go for it, as long as she is okay with it and you don't stress her or go too fast it shouldn't be a problem

draftgrl 01-10-2011 01:24 AM

Good luck and have fun!

sitbacnroc 01-12-2011 07:19 AM

Thanks for the replies!