The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Bad weather worries (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/bad-weather-worries-75348/)

musicalmarie1 01-09-2011 08:05 PM

Bad weather worries

I live in Georgia and we're just getting slammed with icy rain and snow and a general mix of bad weather (if you want to take a look, type in 30253 at weather.com). My horses have their turnout blankets on, and there are some woods at the back of the pasture, but I'm still worried about them because they don't have any real shelter. The other horses being boarded there don't have shelter, and they don't have blankets, but I'm still worried about my babies and wish I could put up a run in shelter... or could afford to. Just wanted someone with more horse sense than my fiance to tell me that they'll be okay. The horses I grew up with lived in harsh conditions with no blanket and no shelter, but... well, you know how it goes. :cry:

cakemom 01-09-2011 08:09 PM

I totally understand, but they will be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

musicalmarie1 01-09-2011 08:15 PM

Well, to further defend my worries, I'm finally taking care of the horses on my own, and my parents don't really think I can do it.... even though I'm 24 and have grown up with horses :P Oh parents...

wyominggrandma 01-09-2011 09:18 PM

Your horses will be okay. Here in Wyoming we have had cold already to -20 F without wind chill, some days warming up to -1 at the high, just plain cold. Tons of snow and ice, cold enough that the horses have ice on their whiskers. They have a shelter but do not use it at all, just turn their tails to the wind if it is blowing or just stand in it. Give plenty of hay and I use tank heater in my water so they have fresh semi warm water to drink at all times. One horse is 9 the other is 24.

NorthernMama 01-09-2011 09:38 PM

Sounds like your horses are used to being outside. Animals usually get ready for the weather before it comes. They were probably wondering, "Why the heck is she bringing out the blankets now? Doesn't she know it's been coming for days? Humans... bah." Then one says, "Ya, but she tries. And it sure is nice to see her the snow isn't scaring her off."

They'll huddle if they get really cold. Really is some shocking weather for you guys down there though probably.

musicalmarie1 01-09-2011 09:59 PM

It really is! We even had snow on Christmas, which hasn't happened since the late 1800s! It's been crazy :P