The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   More work but eating less (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/more-work-but-eating-less-75451/)

TheEquestrian22 01-10-2011 07:59 PM

More work but eating less

My mare is the typical hard to keep fat Thoroughbred. I have recently increased her work load because she is moving up a level. With her new work load she started looking a bit ribby. I also noticed she isn't cleaning up all her food. She lost weight part to the grass dying. But as for not eating, I am not sure. She has always been on SmartPacks, but recently we added Cool Calories to her diet. I can try removing these from her diet to see if she eats, but how do I make her gain weight. She is already given a lot of grain ( 2 scoops of Triple Crown) twice daily. It seems her lack of food intake is effecting her performance slightly. I have noticed her getting tired more easily and trying to evade the bit and not carrying herself. Any solutions?

MyBoyPuck 01-10-2011 08:29 PM

If I add rice bran when I increase my TB's work load, I find it helps keep his weight steady. Any thing considered fat should help.

equiniphile 01-10-2011 08:48 PM

Try adding corn oil, it works wonders.

TheEquestrian22 01-10-2011 09:03 PM

Thanks. SHe loves rice bran, but our bran gets Empower which has corn in it which makes her hyper. I'm trying to find just pure rice bran.

Peggysue 01-11-2011 09:57 AM

Which Triple Crown feed is she getting?? and What size scoops??
How much hay??
Pictures would help us here :)

dressagebelle 01-11-2011 02:50 PM

First thing I would do is have her checked for ulcers, because that is a common cause of not eating as much. Then I would up the amount of hay she gets. I don't know her work load, but I would not give her anymore grain than you already are. I personally would recommend farnum weight builder over cool calories, because I am not thrilled with the results I've seen of the horses I know who are fed cool calories, but I personally have had great results with the farnum weight builder. Take that with a grain of salt though, as I haven't put any of my horses on cool calories, so not know what the other people were feeding in addition to that gives me a narrow view of results if you can understand that lol. Definitely if you can find rice bran, I would give that with the cool calories, and some canola oil.

TheEquestrian22 01-11-2011 10:24 PM

She gets Triple Crown Complete. The scoops are just the normal large plastic scoops. Idk how much that is in pounds. I think she gets 2 flakes of hay 2-3 times daily. 10 hours in the paddock. her work load is usually 30-45 minutes, 5-6 days a week. The thing I've added to her training is trot sets, which i am sure burn a ton of calories if she does a continuous 40 minute trot. But i am trying 1 scoop rice bran, 1 scoop grain 3 times a day. She may not be eating breakfast because she is eager to go run around in her field.

Peggysue 01-11-2011 11:11 PM

that's alot of "hard" feed every day and while it is lower NSC then most feeds it does have oats which can cause stomach issues ... might try Triple Crown Senior or go with Triple Crown 30% and add beet pulp adn rice bran