The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Breeding. What would you get. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/breeding-what-would-you-get-75467/)

TexasBlaze 01-10-2011 09:36 PM

Breeding. What would you get.

If you bred to bays what possible colors could the foal be. Someone told me it would be possible to get a perlino. Is this possible?

Zeke 01-10-2011 09:40 PM

While I'm no color expert, I can say it really depends on what color (and the genetics behind it) you breed to a bay to get a color. Both parents contribute genes that decide the final color outcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

TexasBlaze 01-10-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke (Post 884795)
While I'm no color expert, I can say it really depends on what color (and the genetics behind it) you breed to a bay to get a color. Both parents contribute genes that decide the final color outcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

But to have a perlino both parents would have to have at least one cream gene, making them buckskins instead of bays correct?

Gizmo 01-10-2011 09:55 PM

They would have to have a creme gene somewhere in there to have a perlino. I think your most likely outcome is going to be a bay with two bays because that gene is going to be dominant.

TexasBlaze 01-10-2011 09:57 PM

Thats what i thought. My friends was trying to tell me breeding 2 bays would give you a chance of getting a perlino but i told her that both parents would have to be buckskin to have a chance of a perlino foal if the base colors of the parents were bay. She also said that the creme gene could be recessive and not show up in the bay coat but i thought it the creme gene was present it would ALWAYS show in the coat color.

mysticdragon72 01-10-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasBlaze (Post 884820)
Thats what i thought. My friends was trying to tell me breeding 2 bays would give you a chance of getting a perlino but i told her that both parents would have to be buckskin to have a chance of a perlino foal if the base colors of the parents were bay. She also said that the creme gene could be recessive and not show up in the bay coat but i thought if the creme gene was present it would ALWAYS show in the coat color.

You are exactly right. The creme gene is dominant.

Poseidon 01-10-2011 11:46 PM

You would get bay, chestnut, or black. But there are modifiers that would change the colour a bit. My friend's TB mare's parents are both bays, but she's a flaxen chestnut. (But after reading things on here, I kind of wonder if she's a silver bay, but I'm not sure if those exist with in the TB breed..)

Gizmo 01-11-2011 09:22 AM

Yeah I thought you could get a black, chestnut or brown out of it but wasn't sure. So I didn't want to say so.

NdAppy 01-11-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 884958)
You would get bay, chestnut, or black. But there are modifiers that would change the colour a bit. My friend's TB mare's parents are both bays, but she's a flaxen chestnut. (But after reading things on here, I kind of wonder if she's a silver bay, but I'm not sure if those exist with in the TB breed..)

I highly doubt she is a silver bay.

You can get a flaxen out of two black based horses. Flaxen does not affect anything but red horses so it would only show on the red base.

Jacksmama 01-11-2011 09:54 AM

Color Calculator
I often get on this site just to see what could come of different breedings. A bay is actually a black horse with the agouti modifier that fades the black to the points. If both parents have recessive red the foal could be chestnut/sorrel. If they both only have one copy of agouti and black the foal could be black, and black is dominant so if the foal got a red and a black with no agouti it would be black. If one of the parents happened to be Dun instead of bay and mislabeled, you could get a red dun or a grulla. You're right, to my knowledge if there is a cream gene present it WILL manifest, even the smoky black stud I work with (hidden cream, he's been tested) has a modified coat color, he's more of a steel gray.