The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   In foal or not in foal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/foal-not-foal-75516/)

FGRanch 01-11-2011 11:51 AM

In foal or not in foal?

2 Attachment(s)
So here is some history on this mare so you know as much details as I know.

We bought this mare last winter from Colorado, we discussed with the sellers having her breed by their vet. We talked to both the sellers and the vet who would be breeding this mare extensivily and both seemed like very knowledgable people so we opted to have the mare stay there to be breed rather than bring her to Canada first and having her breed here as the cost of our vets are way higher and also the cost of a USDA inspection is around the $300 mark.

She had a reproduction exam done and everything was clean and good.

We were breeding her with frozen semen. The first time she came into heat there was a miscommunication between the vet and the stallion owner and only half the semen was used and of course the mare came up open.

The next time breeding her everything went well, the got her 4 hours pre ovulation and 2 hours post ovulation and at her 14 day check she was ultrasounded and the vet said "There is something in there. If you held a gun to my head and made me guess I would say it was a pregnancy, I'm 99% sure it is, but it's in an odd position, or it could be a cyst." So fast forward till 45 days, by this time she is at home. We take her into to our vet for her 45 day heart beat check. He ultasounds her and says she is not in foal, she has a 45 folicle but has swelling of the uterus. He couldn't tell me if she had been in foal or not and he also couldn't tell me why the swelling was there, there was no visible cysts or leasions.

Now she looks like she is in foal?! What the heck. We will be taking her into for an ultrasound once hubby gets home from work at the end of the month just to be sure and if she is open we want to do another reproducation exam and biopsy so we can rebreed her this year, hopefully with better results.

What do you think? Does she look like she is in foal?

NdAppy 01-11-2011 11:54 AM

When was she bred originally?

FGRanch 01-11-2011 12:05 PM

Oh sorry, how did I forget to put that! She was breed around the middle of May, I can't recall the exact date. She was to be due around the 20th of April.

NdAppy 01-11-2011 12:28 PM

Hmmm. She looks like she "could" have a baby belly. But then I have seen geldings with bellies like that. Heck Phoenix looks like that year round. :oops:

kaya 01-11-2011 03:12 PM

She doesn't Really look pregnant... I she could be like Appy said.

Indyhorse 01-11-2011 03:17 PM

She looks like it could go either way. A 7 month mare is usually showing some. Anyway you could order a weefoal or anything like that in the meantime while waiting a month for the U/S?

ShutUpJoe 01-11-2011 03:24 PM

Yea a wee foal kit! lol I've used one. I'm thinking of buying another just for this new mare, before the vet comes out, out of curiosity.

FGRanch 01-11-2011 08:35 PM

How do you use that test? I've always just used my vet.

Indyhorse 01-11-2011 08:53 PM

They are not unlike human pregnancy tests! It's been quite a few years since I worked at the mini farm where we used them, but I seem to remember we just collected the urine from the mare to be tested, I think you had to mix the urine with an agent (included in the test) and then you have a little strip you put the urine on, and it changes color, and I think there was a just one line if the mare was not pregnant, and two lines if the mare was pregnant. I think the mares had to be quite far along to test too. I'm sure the directions would come with the kit.

ShutUpJoe 01-11-2011 09:03 PM

Go to weefoal.com, it explains it on there : )