The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Horse in college? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/horse-college-75534/)

hillree 01-11-2011 03:58 PM

Horse in college?

I'd really like to buy a horse, but I am in college. My school is about an hour away from home. Has anyone here owned a horse in college? What was your experience?

Also, if I did buy a horse, know that he would not be ignored. I come home most weekends, and I also have a sister who would ride him while I'm gone. Which brings up another question of mine: should I instead find a barn near my school to keep him? Then would I move him back home in the summer or other breaks? I don't want to move him around a lot if it bothers him... honestly I don't know how well horses deal with change.

StrikinHigh 01-11-2011 09:57 PM

I'm preparing to take a horse off to college with me, too. =)

To me it seems like your best bet would be to board him at a stable where he will be taken well care of, unless your parents/sister are okay with taking care of him at home. If they are, then go for it. Bringing him home from the barn during the summer break wouldn't be a big deal, since it's a couple months, but I don't see a need in bringing him home for the shorter breaks such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. If your school is only thirty minutes away, you can easily go see him during the breaks, and there won't be a need to interrupt his routine. Most horses deal with change surprisingly well, so I doubt bringing him home during the summer would be a big deal for him at all.
You just want to be sure to put him in the place that is best for his well-being. With you being in college and being very busy, the stable would insure he's always taken care of.

StrikinHigh 01-11-2011 09:58 PM

I'm preparing to take a horse off to college with me, too. =)

To me it seems like your best bet would be to board him at a stable where he will be taken well care of, unless your parents/sister are okay with taking care of him at home. If they are, then go for it. Bringing him home from the barn during the summer break wouldn't be a big deal, since it's a couple months, but I don't see a need in bringing him home for the shorter breaks such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. If your school is only thirty minutes away, you can easily go see him during the breaks, and there won't be a need to interrupt his routine. Most horses deal with change surprisingly well, and I doubt bringing him home during the summer would be a big deal for him at all.

RedTree 01-11-2011 10:09 PM

Why not try leasing a horse first?
Finding a local barn and see if you can lease a horse for time period and if you can handle it get one.

StrikinHigh 01-11-2011 10:34 PM

My apologies for the strange double post up above... :oops:

Alcatrazjmpr 01-13-2011 05:58 PM

I kept my horse when I went to college, currently still there and looking a years of grad school. Some semesters I had really good schedules and could see him almost everyday, other semesters I got to see him 3 days a week or less. I had people who were able to ride him during the week, I also intend to lease him out my first year of grad school before I make him relocate states. It just depends on how stressful it would be for you as well. I agree with RedTree and try leasing at a barn close to your school and see how it goes for you, this way if it doesn't work out you can stop the lease and you don't have a horse to sell