The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

your favorite HORSE BOOKS - fiction/nonfiction

5K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  BansheeGirl 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some books to read.

I'd love to know your favorites, both instructional, but also, in particular, the ones with a plot. Relationships of people with horses -- the horse doesn't even have to be the lead.

I love the book - "These Is My Words" by Nancy E. Turner - the main character, Sarah has a horse that she loves dearly, Rose. But the book is about growing up in the difficult Arizona territories in the 1880s.

It's an amazing book.

I'd love to hear your faves.

#2 ·
i LOVE **** francis, all his books are great !!

my current favorite non-fiction is called modern show jumping, the south american method. copyright 1954 ! lol but it is a great book with some great techniques in it !! they rode so much better then !

#3 ·
Oh gosh... where to start: Based on true stories: Ruffian, Funny Cide, Seabicut, Stud: Adventures in Breeding (Storm Cat)

Then the fictional ones like: Black Beauty, San Domingo, The Thoroughbred series.
Just to name a few... I could name a lot more. I love reading.

#6 ·
I loved the Misty of Chincoteague books when I was younger.

And in all honesty, my step dad got me a Horse Owner's Veterinary Handbook when I moved out and took the horses with me, and I love it. It's interesting and informative. There's a lot of detail!

#8 ·
No Small Thing by Natalie Ghent was a really great fiction read. Three poor-er children go out and buy themselves a pony, and the plot follows their struggles and joys of having it. I really enjoyed it.

I also really liked Black Beauty.

#11 ·
right i have a lot of favourites
The Silver Brumby Series
Phantom stalloin series
Black Beauty
King of The Wind
Flika
Misty Of Chintocegue (sorry don't know how to spell it)
The Ultimate Horse Lovers has a lot of short great stories!!!
Monty Roberts, Shy Boy
just to name a few!!

#16 ·
Loved many you've mentioned when I was younger (and still go through them once in a while!) as well as the Phantom Stallion series.

Now, for an equine/fantasy read I absolutely love the Green Rider series by Kristen Britain. Just re-read the first 3, as the 4th book is coming out here on Feb 1st! They are fantastic reads!!

#18 ·
Non-Fiction: USDF Guide to Dressage. I love it. Its a really good book on explaining dressage and the steps and has excersices in them for horse and rider.

Fiction: Another Kind of Cowboy by Susan Juby. I finished all 341 pages in 2 days. I didn't want to stop reading it. Its well written and real-life problems are in this book, but horses are a main part of the book.

#24 ·
My all time favorite is Blind Beauty by K M Peyton. Its about a girl who's mother has married an evil man Maurice who races steeple chasers and she goes to work at a poor stable and finds the love of her life; a horse named Buffoon. A GREAT read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.