The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Jockey School (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/jockey-school-75576/)

xXEventerXx 01-12-2011 12:43 AM

Jockey School

I wasnt sure where to make this thread so its here now :)

anywho next january im going to Olds college to take the exercise rider/Jockey Coarse

Just wanted to know if anyone has taken a similar coarse and how was it

boldstart 01-13-2011 08:15 PM

I am doing Certificate 3 in Racing (Trackriding) at TAFE SA and I have periously completed Cert 1 & 2 In Racing (Stablehand) and short course in trackriding.

This course has given me so much confidence in my riding.
All I had done for around 10 years was just dressage, but I didnt know how much I could actually do with my riding.

I started out really nervous and for a while I ahd a few bad weeks (got taken off on a few times and the horses dumped me a fair bit) but once you learn what you have to do its such a thrill.
There is something about pushing your horses from a canter up to gallop for a few furlongs that make you feel alive and the joy you feel when you know the horses are also enjoying the work. =]]

Just wanna say even if you feel like you dont seem to be making any improvement just keep at it.
I went though 8 weeks of thinking I was horrible and then one day it all just clicked and now I can jump out of barriers, do fast work and ride some on the most craziest horses. =D

And thing I love best is the people you meet and that they are always willing to help you go further!

I wish you good luck!

lolayla 01-14-2011 03:26 PM

crazy! i didnt know olds had a jockey program. i used to work with standardbreds and we always had the kids from olds(grooming program) come work with the horses.

SunShineMeadows 01-15-2011 03:57 PM

Many of my friends have taken it, and are currently taking it. Have nothing but good things to say, it prepares you well for galloping on the actual track at Northlands (or where ever you may go). There are already a few successful jockeys from the program, the biggest name being Omar Moreno. Scott Williams just became a jockey this year and is doing very well for himself as well.

It's a jockey/gallop person school - cause obviously everyone starts off galloping and it's good to know how to do it properly, and how to deal with certain situations before getting onto the crowded 'A' track.

xXEventerXx 01-15-2011 04:08 PM

im stoked to take the coarse, i heard about omar he has done well.