The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Purina Strategy Healthy Edge. Anyone feed it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/purina-strategy-healthy-edge-anyone-feed-75643/)

silverdollarmagic 01-12-2011 07:35 PM

Purina Strategy Healthy Edge. Anyone feed it?

I'm a newbie so forgive me if there is already a thread about this feed :oops: I just started my 10 year old TWH mare on it. She was getting 4# of an oats & cracked corn feed from the local mill with a few vits/minerals and a tiny bit of molasses. 6% fat & 12% protein. Also getting free choice good quality hay 24/7.
Hope does better on a higher fat, lower starch feed and I like that the HE has rice bran, beet pulp, flax and biotin in it, plus lots of other nutrients so I don't have to supplement it with anything, and the NSC is only 18%. She still gets free choice hay 24/7.

Who here feeds it and what are your opinions on it? TIA! :-)

equiniphile 01-12-2011 08:18 PM

My friend rides at a HJ barn and they feed it. Seem to like it, too.

mom2pride 01-12-2011 08:25 PM

I used it for a while this fall on my mare, when she was in full work, and I liked the results of it; she had alot of energy, and looked great; it wasn't "spicey" energy either...For the winter I put her back onto Alfalfa pellets for her 'extra' add in to her daily hay.

silverdollarmagic 01-12-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 887621)
My friend rides at a HJ barn and they feed it. Seem to like it, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2pride (Post 887630)
I used it for a while this fall on my mare, when she was in full work, and I liked the results of it; she had alot of energy, and looked great; it wasn't "spicey" energy either...For the winter I put her back onto Alfalfa pellets for her 'extra' add in to her daily hay.

Thank you both! She's only been on it for 3 days and so far no fizziness. I tried alfalfa pellets with her, and BOSS and she wouldn't touch them. I even tried soaking the alfalfa pellets or mixing them with a little sweet feed and she wouldn't have any part of it. She's a picky eater but so far seems to love the Healthy Edge.

kat1985 01-12-2011 10:37 PM

When I started managing the barn I take care of we started looking into something other than the trotter/hay stretcher that everyone was eating. Decided to switch everyone at the barn over to HE late spring of 2010. When the vet came out for fall shots she said the horses weights/coats had never looked so good in all the years she had been coming to the farm. Personally I've never seen so much shine on my horses coat and i swear her forelock has grown 2 inches!

Even over the winter everyone has maintained really well this year.

silverdollarmagic 01-13-2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kat1985 (Post 887807)
When I started managing the barn I take care of we started looking into something other than the trotter/hay stretcher that everyone was eating. Decided to switch everyone at the barn over to HE late spring of 2010. When the vet came out for fall shots she said the horses weights/coats had never looked so good in all the years she had been coming to the farm. Personally I've never seen so much shine on my horses coat and i swear her forelock has grown 2 inches!

Even over the winter everyone has maintained really well this year.

Awesome!!! I hope it has the same effects on my mare :) Thanks!!