The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Is it fine for a horse to wear polo wraps during a schooling show? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/fine-horse-wear-polo-wraps-during-75670/)

Piaffe 01-13-2011 12:14 AM

Is it fine for a horse to wear polo wraps during a schooling show?

I am doing some english classes and I usually wrap my mare's legs with polos or boots when riding...would polos be ok for the schooling show? There is no rule about it listed on the flyer....Thanks!

Klassic Superstar 01-13-2011 12:15 AM

I have done it many times before. Had no probems with the judges with it. Just make sure they are all on coreectly! :)

eventerdrew 01-13-2011 12:19 AM

it should be fine. what kind of show are you competing in?

Piaffe 01-13-2011 12:19 AM

great! thanks! I didn't want to get disqualified or anything....lol....I haven't done any shows for years O_o :)

Piaffe 01-13-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eventerdrew (Post 887868)
it should be fine. what kind of show are you competing in?

Just an open fun schooling show :)

maura 01-13-2011 04:54 AM

Dressage or hunters, is what I think was meant.

May be a problem in a hunter show.

My Beau 01-13-2011 07:50 AM

I've seen people get eliminated from dressage schooling shows for forgetting to take their horse's bell boots, much less polos, off before entering the ring. It would be best to ask the show manager, even though the flyer doesn't say anything.

speedy da fish 01-13-2011 07:55 AM

schooling shows tend to be very relaxed about it though. you tend just to ride the horse in what you would normally, that is the whole idea of them- well it should be anyway.

Piaffe 01-13-2011 09:30 AM

Oh...I see...no it isnt a hunter show....or a dressage show. Just open english and western schooling. I have a feeling it will be fine,but I will probably find a show manager and ask just to be sure....thanks everyone!

Thia 01-13-2011 10:06 AM

Not trying to hijack Piaffe's thread, but could anyone tell me how to put polo wraps on correctly? I can put them on just fine if I'm wrapping them with quilted wraps underneath for hauling or injury support while on stall rest, but when I put them on by themselves ugh!

I tried by starting at "the top" and working down to the fetlocks and back up, nope. And also by starting in the middle of the cannon bone, down, then back to "the top" like I've seen in magazines and how I do it when there's quilted wraps, nope. I end up with my horse looking like they have big elephant legs. lol. And the mare I have now is big boned (she needs large splint boots in front and, if they make them, XL in back, hehe) and it still looks like a big bulky mess, not the nice streamlined look you see in the magazines.

I don't ride in them like this, I just take them off and figure I have polo wrap ADD. :) Any help? I would like to ride her with something protecting her legs from scrapes and dings, but none of my splint boots fit her (they were originally for my late TB gelding) and I have polo wraps sitting around gathering dust, so until I can get her splint boots or smb's I'd like to try to use them.