The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Probiotic question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/probiotic-question-75702/)

Gidget 01-13-2011 10:59 AM

Probiotic question

This might be something to ask the vet but I get my probiotics through them and I was wondering if they would act the same as if you bought it off the the counter self on a store. For 1b it's $15 which goes fast and for 3 lbs it's almost $50 so I was just seeing my options. Oh and what do you guys recommend for joint supplement..is there any pelleted kind?

mbender 01-13-2011 11:02 AM

Probiotics are just as good over the counter as they are from the vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zimpatico 01-13-2011 11:03 AM

Check out SmartPak. They have Probios at a good price and make several pelleted joint supplements.

Gidget 01-13-2011 11:05 AM

so they are all the same?
I kinda wondered if the vet was just trying to make extra money or what...I heard on the self probiotics worked well so was just curious..and smartpak..do you have to order it online?

luvs2ride1979 01-13-2011 11:48 AM

Cortaflax is a liquid joint supplement that works well and most horses like the taste. Smartpak has a bunch of pelleted joint supplements as well. Call them and they can send you samples to see which one your horse likes best.

You can order over the phone with smartpak. I get my Cortaflx from ValleyVet.com as they are cheaper and they have a free qt with purchase of a gallon deal going on right now.

luvs2ride1979 01-13-2011 11:49 AM

Does the jar from the vet have a brand name or ingredients list on it? You could compare that to the OTC varieties to see if there is a difference.

Gidget 01-13-2011 12:06 PM

I will have to go look.

here it is

G.I. Conditioner, Digestive Tract Support Formula for horses

mine comes in a smaller one usually

luvs2ride1979 01-13-2011 02:34 PM

Looks like SmartDigest or SmartDigest Ultra are closest in ingredients.
SmartDigest - Horse Digestive Supplements from SmartPak Equine
SmartDigest Ultra - Horse Digestive Supplements from SmartPak Equine

Oh wait! Ultra Elite Digest is the EXACT same thing as your vet product.
Ultra-Elite Digest - Horse Digestive Supplements from SmartPak Equine

You'd save about $15 for the 96 serving 3lb tub, plus shipping.

Zimpatico 01-13-2011 02:55 PM

BTW, the COTH forum always has a SmartPak Free Shipping Code thread running. I haven't paid for shipping from SmartPak in a year!