The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Need Warm Barn Gloves (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/need-warm-barn-gloves-75786/)

glengel 01-14-2011 11:25 AM

Need Warm Barn Gloves

I'm looking for a pair of work gloves that keep my fingers warm and allow me to be dexterous - open snaps etc. I just got the Carhart Utility Gloves for women and I'm very disappointed - my fingers freeze terribly in them. I've tried every kind of leather/non-leather glove with thinsulate linings and none have kept my fingers warm. Anyone know of any good barn gloves that will fit the bill?

Romantic Lyric 01-14-2011 11:37 AM

Try using silk liners under gloves that aren't too tight. You can get a pair for like $8.
Posted via Mobile Device

Zimpatico 01-14-2011 11:41 AM

These are my favorite gloves in the world. Super stretchy, grippy palms, and my fingertips don't feel like I'm getting frostbite. Roeckl Polartec Glove - Equestrian Gloves from SmartPak Equine

petitepyromaniac 01-14-2011 12:34 PM

Riding mittens. When I hear the word "mitten", I immediatley assume I'll loose all dexterity. But it's not true, and they keep my hands SO much warmer. SSG makes ones that aren't too bulky, and Mountain horse makes some as well that are nice.

And if you're wondering what "riding mittens" are, they're basically just normal mittons, except they have a seperate pinky finger thing, so you can still fit the reigns in your hand normal. But when I'm not riding, I like to stick my fingers all in the main hole for warmth :)

mls 01-14-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glengel (Post 889653)
I just got the Carhart Utility Gloves for women and I'm very disappointed - my fingers freeze terribly in them.

Are they too warm? I have problems with my fingers and toes. I have great REALLY cold weather gloves and boots but the milder temps (upeer teens, lower 20's) - I get very cold.

I have three pairs of cold gloves - All Cabelas brand - that I switch off to ensure they have time to dry out between uses.

kitten_Val 01-14-2011 01:29 PM

I use something like this Architect Mens Microfiber Gloves (man, extra-sized) already for 6 years (same pair :wink: ). Warm and stay dry. The only problem they are rather bulky, so I have to take them off when I, say, put a blanket on horse and have to clip all those buckles.

glengel 01-14-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petitepyromaniac (Post 889709)
Riding mittens. When I hear the word "mitten", I immediatley assume I'll loose all dexterity. But it's not true, and they keep my hands SO much warmer. SSG makes ones that aren't too bulky, and Mountain horse makes some as well that are nice.

And if you're wondering what "riding mittens" are, they're basically just normal mittons, except they have a seperate pinky finger thing, so you can still fit the reigns in your hand normal. But when I'm not riding, I like to stick my fingers all in the main hole for warmth :)

I've not tried the riding mittens, but have tried others. I can't manipulate snaps with them.

The gloves definitely aren't too warm.

Anyone ever tried the type with batteries in them? I'd think they'd be far too bulky, plus I can picture myself accidentally getting them in a bucket.

IslandWave 01-14-2011 10:25 PM

My BO swears by these deerskin gloves with thinsulate lining.
http://img2.prosperent.com/images/25...lein_40022.jpg
I think they're normally found in any store like Tractor Supply or Menards.

luvs2ride1979 01-15-2011 12:30 AM

I second the deerskin with thinsulate.

I LOVE my Heritage Winter Work gloves, but they are a bit on the bulky side. I can do snaps and such with them, but I have to be a little slower about it, lol. My hands get too warm if it's above freezing.
:: Heritage Performance Riding Gloves ::

TheRoughrider21 01-15-2011 08:48 AM

Under Armour Fleece Glove with Pocket

They're nice and warm and I can actually do things with them on. I hate wearing gloves...I can't stand it. Even when we're doing hay, I would rather get huge blisters and just rip them off instead of wearing gloves. These gloves are thin and give you lots of "feel" yet still keep you warm. It's gets mighty chilly where I live, -20ish weather and usually with wind. Normally I would go outside to get my horse, put his halter on and my hands would be frozen. They stay warm with these. Plus they have little grippy things on the palm and fingers and a pocket if you want to put a hand warmer in them. They are kinda pricey but well worth it.

Under Armour Fleece Glove With Pocket - Running - Accessories - Black