The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cutting and Team Penning (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/)
-   -   Another Reining/Cowbred Horse To Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/cutting-team-penning/another-reining-cowbred-horse-critique-75805/)

sherkad25 01-14-2011 03:03 PM

Another Reining/Cowbred Horse To Critique

3 Attachment(s)
Star Chisem (Banjo)... Out of Star Dually X Lenas Sugarman. I took his blanket off to check him out today and decided to take some pictures to see if I could get some opinions. I'm interested in showing him in ranch versatility this year and maybe some team penning for fun.
Attachment 52335

Attachment 52339

Attachment 52342

lilruffian 01-14-2011 03:07 PM

Well he looks slightly sickled in the back, maybe cowhocked though by no means severe anough to worry about ;)
Overall a nice looking horse. A little high in the withers & could use more muscling but that will come with time.
I Like him!

nrhareiner 01-17-2011 12:20 PM

He has a straight shoulder and croup. However his neck ties in well. I would like to see a bit more in the withers but should be fine with a good fitting saddle. His hocks do not bother me too much for what you want to do. He might have a hard time getting down on the cows and stopping hard and turning but again for what you are looking at doing it should not be too big if a deal.

Kellyg 10-23-2013 06:11 AM

I think he is beautiful....

Cherie 11-06-2013 04:32 PM

I do not see sickle hocks at all. The second photo shows him standing with his hind feet up underneath him, but surely not a sickle angle to his hocks. I do not see any hint of cow hocks. From the front, one cannot see his hind legs or feet at all. To me, that would indicate that he does not toe out and his hock are not turned in (or we would see them).

I always have thought that 'high' in the withers was good. We have always tried very hard to raise horses that have good withers and hold a saddle well. We fault a lot of reiners and cutters for not having withers.

If this horse uses himself very well and is very broke, I think he is a really nice Ranch Versatility horse. He has the withers and good saddle-back to hold a saddle well to rope and hold a cow.

I do not know how close he is to Lenas Sugarman, but he was a pretty nice horse showing and winning in both the NCHA and the NRHA and sired cutters, reiners and reined cowhorses.

Corporal 11-06-2013 04:35 PM

Agreed, Cherie. I REALLY like his back. He looks sturdy and your poses suggest some good, solid training.