The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   horse now has loose stool? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-now-has-loose-stool-75866/)

Ace5906 01-15-2011 12:59 PM

horse now has loose stool?

hey everyone, i just recently started feeding my horse alfalpha because the barn owner ordered the wrong kind of hay. well, now my horse has loose stool and it is sticking to his butt and getting all nasty and crusty if i don't clean it off for a day. anyway, is there something i can give him to make his stool not so loose? like some sort of fiber thing?

Kymbadina 01-15-2011 01:24 PM

In people fiber MAKES you poo..I'd assume it effects horses much the same. Was she on alfalfa before or is that a change? It sounds like the alfalfa is the new factor and the sudden change could be the cause. Does she have a salt block? If he has runny poo i'd worry about dehydration. It shouldn't last long I wouldn't think. I'm not 100 percent sure though because I've never dealt with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ace5906 01-15-2011 04:07 PM

yes the only recent change has been the alfalfa and yes he does have a salt block. i was just wondering if i could give him some sort of supplement that would tighten his poop up a little bit because it is really dificult to clean off every day AND it keeps freezing to the ground so i can't pick it up and there are a bunch of little hills all over the place.

Kymbadina 01-16-2011 09:01 AM

There's nothing that I know of. :/ that's no good. I know some people who use a really fine cat litter(like the cheap stuff) and sprinkle a layer down under the shavings. Maybe that would help? Are there mats in his stall though? Because I csn imaagine it would be a nightmare to clean if there are no mats
Posted via Mobile Device

Zimpatico 01-16-2011 09:22 AM

A big syringe of Pro-CMC! It like pepto for horses. I have a similar problem with my guy whenever our hay is too rich. Give him a big syringe (I think the're 2ml) of it once a day. Pro-CMC is my first line of defense for tummy problems. It's fairly harmless (just like taking a swig of Pepto in people). You might need something stronger, but the Pro-CMC will help until you find something else. My guy is older and has a hindgut that doesn't process things quite as well so I put him on Succeed every day, but still keep the Pro-CMC on hand just in case.

Zimpatico 01-16-2011 09:26 AM

This is it... Pro CMC Cal + Mag 64 oz, Pro CMC From Adams Horse Supplies Most tack shops with a good health & medical section will have it. BTW, if you DO have an ongoing problem, I would highly recommend Succeed. It's expensive, but works like a dream! My vet recommended it and it worked instantly. I used the Succeed syringes for a month, then put him on the daily powder supplement. I haven't seen any runny poop (or pre-poop squirts as I referred to them) in months.

I was spending more on baby wipes to clean his hiney, and blanket cleanings to clean the dried poop off the back of his blankets than it cost to keep him on the Succeed and a bottle of Pro-CMC in the cabinet.

Ace5906 01-16-2011 11:23 AM

thanks i will try succeed and see if it works. he doesn't have a stall, but our barn is a large run in shed for my two horses and it has a sand bottom. the poop keeps sticking to the sand because it is liquidy and then it freezes. i also can't put down any straw or wood shaving because my horses will just eat them and i don't want them getting colic