The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Where do you stand when brushing the tail? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/where-do-you-stand-when-brushing-7591/)

Stubborn1 04-05-2008 05:58 AM

Where do you stand when brushing the tail?

As you can see I am totally new to horses. I would like to but am a bit scarred to brush his tail in fear of getting kicked. How do you do it??

Vidaloco 04-05-2008 06:14 AM

When around the rear of a horse you should either be out of the kick zone or so close as to make it difficult or less painful if they do try to kick. If its a horse I'm unsure of I stand right at the hip close enough that my arm is in contact with the flank. I keep contact with them all the time I'm brushing so the don't forget I'm there.
If its just Vida I still stand at the flank but don't worry about her kicking. Most horses like having their tail brushed so don't fret too much :lol:
I Start at the top and brush from the outside to the middle. Then go to the end and brush from the bottom to the top. I usually hold the long tail hairs in one hand and brush against my leg, turning the tail hair as I go. I like to start at the top so she gets a good butt scratching in before I go to the long hairs where all the snarles are usually at.

HorsesAreForever 04-05-2008 09:45 AM

I agree with vida If you are unsure on how the horse is going to react stand off to the side which is probably what you should be doing anyways but me since I know my horse pretty well and im sure she wont kick I kinda stand right behind her but a little be further away but i keep talking to her and peting her rump but heck once i was backing up and didnt relize i was so close to her and ran right into her rump and all she did was jump shes such a good girl i praised her so much for not kicking out! But I recommend you stand off to the side. ^_^ and dont be stupid like me and walk backwards while talking to someone near a horse :P

PoptartShop 04-05-2008 11:56 AM

I stand kinda behind her while I brush her tail since I know her very well. I pet her too so she knows I'm there.
But if it's like someone else's horse who you're not very familiar with, I'd get away from the kick-zone.

jazzyrider 04-08-2008 01:05 AM

i stand right behind with my mare and my old fella but i stand to the side with my warmblood as he is prone to having a little kick here and there. horses i dont know though always get brushed from the side

WSArabians 04-23-2008 03:10 AM

Safety wise, you should stand to the side of your horse to ensure that you won't get kicked quite as easy - don't forget that it's not impossible to get kicked standing at the side either - Horses have amazing aim.

If your horse is good with picking up his hind legs, he shouldn't have much of a problem with you brushing his tail out.

I sometimes forget to practice my saftey rules as I know my horses os well. I like to stratch my horses's butt so when I'm behind them and they get touched, they think it's a scratch, so even my three months old are fine with someone standing behind them and have never had one offer to kick.

Do you have anyone avialable with horse experiance who could help you get the hang of general horse handling?
There really is so much to know, and it's a whole lot easier (and safer) if there's someon knowledgable to give you hand.

My2Geldings 04-23-2008 05:28 PM

I never brush my horse's tail. It takes so many years for a tail to grow nice and long AND full I never touch it. The one occasion that I do brush it, which is probably once every 2-3 months, I will spray the entire tail with showshean then with my hands detangle it. Once I am happy with that I then take a horse comb and VERY carefully and gently take the rest of the knots out. Where do I stand? I work a lot with my horses so that I can stand pretty much anywhere behind them. Never had problems.

That is all I do. I hate having an unbrushed tail but I also hate having a thin one.

carriedenaee 04-25-2008 05:51 PM

i stand behind Jet...he usually falls asleep..i swear if you never saw him on the track or in an arena you wouldnt know he is a good barrel horse!...but when i have a new horse or one who doesnt understand and is a little skittixh..i stand to the side well clear of the kicking zone!!

Britt 04-25-2008 06:43 PM

I stand behind and a little to either the left or the right of my horses. My mare won't kick... but my colt will every now and then, so I try to stay right beside his flank and out of the most painful kicking range.

I also only brush my horses tails about once every month or two months... I used to brush all the time, but I don't often now because I don't want to mess up my horses tails... or take a chance... lol.

carriedenaee 04-25-2008 06:57 PM

im a little confused...i brush my horses tails quite often and none of them have thin tails...i dont want to say that it doesnt thin them but i dont want her to think that it will as well....

jet's tail is very full and i have to clip about an inch or so to keep it from dragging the ground....but myabe he just got blessed with a good tail!