The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Cantering on the lunge (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/cantering-lunge-75935/)

x Bustie and Alli x 01-16-2011 12:02 PM

Cantering on the lunge

A tb mare I am training has real problems with cantering on the lunge. She can walk and trot perfectly but as soon as I ask for canter it seems as if she physically cant do it. She really tries- trying to break- but i don't think she has the confidence to... maybe? I have seen her cantering very happily aroung everywhere with her field pals... just not on the lunge :-(

Silvera 01-16-2011 12:53 PM

She probably isn't balanced on the circle. You have to work at getting her on the circle properly, with her hips on the correct circle along with her head and shoulders. If she is flexing through her mid section she will be more balanced.

Here is a link to a website that has a bunch of videos on training. The videos on lunging are really good.

Language of the Lunge | Horse Videos Horse.com Video Library

Hope that helps.

raywonk 01-16-2011 04:18 PM

try using a side riens. it will help balance her and a longer lung line to give her a bigger circle. it is easyer to make big circles than small.

x Bustie and Alli x 01-16-2011 04:39 PM

thanks. she is really very good, balance and carridge wise, in walk and trot so i suppose it hadn't really crossed my mind she was unbalanced- sounds so obvious now! I had her in side reins the other day for the first time and she took them well! What else might help her balance in canter?

RedTree 01-17-2011 05:49 AM

time... haha Buzz was really unbalanced in the canter last year on the lunge.
Like you said it looked like he was trying but he couldn't physically do it.
After about a month or two(I don't even remember lol) he was able to canter half a circle on his good side and a few strides on his bad.
Now he can canter full circles on both sides :)

x Bustie and Alli x 01-17-2011 03:20 PM

ok i'll keep at it! Will things like trotting poles help her in canter as well as trot...?

raywonk 01-17-2011 08:37 PM

trotting poles will help cause it will build her muscles and ingaig her hindin. that is the key.